Spencer: Made in Exeter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s not very often Exeter plays host to a celebrity but last Monday at Mosaic, thanks to 4play Events, the students of Exeter University had the opportunity to get up close and personal with Made in Chelsea star Spencer Matthews!

For those of you who are not familiar with the series Made in Chelsea it is a reality TV series on E4, following a group of posh totties in and around their daily business in London’s most upmarket hotspot, Chelsea.

The night began in anticipation of Spencer’s arrival. A red carpet and roped of area in the downstairs section of the club signified the celebrity status due to arrive. The crowds started off few but it gradually became obvious that the star was soon due to arrive. Bodies began to queue to be first in line to meet the celebrity and it soon became a test of how good I was at holding my ground in the high heels I was wearing as a slight mosh-pit of females steadily formed.

Spencer arrived! Many were quite obviously star struck as the squeals and yelps of many girls rang through the club. I was expecting at this moment in time for the real pushing and shoving to begin but surprisingly everyone queued nicely and all had equal opportunity to meet Spencer and get their photo taken with him. A round of applause must be given to the security as this order was maintained throughout the night which all and all made the night much more enjoyable.

Once photos were over, Spencer headed upstairs to the VIP section next to the DJ booth. In full view of everyone he danced the night away, and many were lucky enough to have a little boogie next to the star as well, Her Campus included!

Granted the show is not everyone’s cup of tea, and I am sure there will have been many people who actually avoided Mosaic due to the fact that Spencer was there, however, many people who I spoke to (who were not there to have their photo taken with this questionable celebrity) still said that his presence created a great buzz around the club. Mosaic was packed till the lights came on and everyone there seemed in great spirits! Massive thanks to Mosaic and 4play Events for a fantastic night and the University of Exeter looks forward to the next time there is a celebrity in town! (Watch this space for Her Campus’ interview with Spence!)

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.