Space Travel: A Celebrity’s Free Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Since the heyday of the space programme in the 1960s, the public has gradually become blasé about our pedestrian progress to the stars; but the fact is we are still only taking our first baby steps off the planet. Since the human race evolved, scientists estimate that 78 billion human beings have trodden the Earth. Yet out of that vast number, since Yuri Gagarin became the first astronaut in 1961, a mere 635 individuals have become part of the oh-so-exclusive club of space travellers

Now entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson intends to double the number of humans who have gone into space with the first-ever commercial flights in his Virgin Galactic voyager. Tickets to this billionaires’ boys club do not come cheap: the price of the two and a half hour trip has just been raised from US $200,000 to $250,000 (a very steep entry price for a club that is guaranteed to have no atmosphere!)

But the golden ticket actually does guarantee you entry into a very elite club with real benefits here on Earth. All ticket purchasers get to join the “future astronauts club”, where they will be given the chance to mingle with stars of a different kind – many Hollywood celebrities are known to have enrolled, including Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. In fact, the rumour mill suggests that the first six astronauts to go on the inaugural flight will be Sir Richard himself, his daughter Holly and son Sam, along with Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Ashton Kutcher.

Future astronauts are expected to undergo training for three days in Philadelphia prior to their flight. But this training isn’t just a leisurely jog on the treadmill – it is an intense acclimatisation programme that includes fairground thrill rides on specially designed machines so that the passengers get used to being turned in every direction at high speeds to familiarise them with high gravity manoeuvres.  Not dissimilar to a rollercoaster, it has been dubbed the “Vomit Comet” due to the number of people who throw up during the vertical dive toward the ground. Instead of staying in your seat while the seatbelt sign is on, Virgin Galactic encourages its passengers to float about the cabin in six minutes of zero gravity – which will undoubtedly end with someone giving a technicolour yawn!

The latest progress of the spacecraft can be seen below:

A further benefit for a select few astronauts is the chance to stay on Sir Richard Branson’s private hideaway for one week. Guests have been invited to Necker Island in the Caribbean where every whim will be catered to. They will also benefit from free water sports all week and every evening presents the opportunity to dine in a different corner of the island – in the forest, by the pool, on an atoll (a ring-shaped coral reef) or in the Great House.

So: no meal, no drinks, and no duty-free shopping onboard; however, the moon, stars and view of the Earth is the best in-flight entertainment HCX can think of – but if that’s still not enough, anyone fancy joining the 100-mile high club?

Photo Credits and Sources: www.netdna.celebritytoob.com, www.flyajetfighter.com, www.virgingalactic.com, www.nydailynews.com, www.science.howstuffworks.com