Should You Get Back Together With An Ex?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

After crying into a tub of Ben and Jerry’s, eating almost everything containing significant amounts of calories and stalking their every move on Facebook, you finally may feel ready to move on. Then, as if he has radars on your emotions, he reappears wanting to give things another try. One of the hardest decisions to make is whether to give your relationship another chance, but should you risk heartbreak all over again? 

It could feel like the right thing to do (especially if you were with them for a long time) because you’re comfortable with them, they’ve seen you pick your nose, yet still want you back. So surely you’re thinking perhaps another try would make the relationship work? Getting back together with an ex is almost impossible to resist because the loneliness that often comes with single life is instantly removed by something that once made you extremely happy. Do not get back together with your ex just because he’s available immediately – ‘things happen for a reason’ so don’t rush back into the arms of your ex because you’re desperate for some attention.

Getting over someone is not an easy task and time is the greatest cure for heartbreak. It may be convenient for your memory to only recollect the great times you had but remember what ever caused your break up may not have changed. Evaluate why you ended the relationship in the first place and whether it’s something that you can both move past. There is no guarantee that it won’t happen again but if your hearts are both in it then giving things another go may lead to a better relationship. Cheating is a particularly difficult issue to forgive but it’s completely dependent on the situation. If you can trust him again, the mistake will either make you a stronger couple or mean he has no fear of the consequences if you’ve shown that you’ll take him back, no matter what.

Whether you were dumped or did the dumping, the break-up happened for a reason. Believing that there is something better for you can be a risky strategy and may cause you to lose the one you want to be with. If you feel that you really can’t live without your ex, try being friends first and if you see a positive change in the relationship, take things slowly. Rushing back into something that you’ve wanted to exit beforehand may land you back to square one in a few months time.

Photo Credits: http://facebookcraze.comwww.pubertytaketwo.files.wordp…