Shooting for the Big Picture: What About Now?  (A Review of Shotgun Theatre’s ‘Ordinary Days’)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Shotgun Theatre’s rendition of ‘Ordinary Days’ by Adam Gwon delivers a poignant portrayal of the interconnected lives of four characters navigating the seemingly mundane yet intricately linked existence in New York City. This musical beautifully threads a narrative of human connection amidst the bustling chaos of everyday life, drawing attention to the significance and allure nestled within the ordinary. Against a backdrop of minimalistic yet immersive staging, Shotgun Theatre’s production explores themes of struggle, perseverance, and the fleeting nature of moments with captivating depth.

“Little Specks Coming Together…”

‘Ordinary Days’ intricately interlaces the stories of four individuals, unveiling two parallel narratives that seamlessly converge. The storyline unfolds akin to a painting, emphasizing the essence of ‘little specks coming together,’ encapsulating the plot’s core. Through vibrant characters and enthralling musical numbers, the narrative eloquently celebrates the essence of human connection, both romantic and platonic.

Creating the feel of the Hundred Story City

The immersive seating arrangement, coupled with the masterful manipulation of lighting and live music, forged a mesmerizing ambiance, heightening the audience’s engagement. Ingeniously minimal yet effective props transformed mere boxes into the towering, vibrant cityscape of New York. This creative decision not only underscores Shotgun Theatre’s prowess in stimulating imagination but also infuses a humane touch into the production’s fabric.

The Space Between… The Characters

The central characters—Warren, Deb, Jason, and Claire—strive to define themselves amidst individual struggles, seeking self-discovery and comprehension. The overarching theme of change, reflective of Gwon’s homage to the 9/11 influence, permeates the characters’ journeys. Warren’s unwavering optimism and romanticism stood out, showcasing life’s random interconnections and the profound meanings woven within them.

Deb’s sardonic wit served as a delightful foil to Warren’s optimistic outlook, skilfully portrayed by the actors, breathing life into their roles. While not typically drawn to romantic storylines, the depth of Jason and Claire’s narrative equally touched me, portraying realistic yet engaging variations of Gwon’s original characters. I appreciated the paralleling narratives, which both bore the sentiments of human connection and closeness.

As a finalist university student, finding resonance with Deb’s character in ‘Ordinary Days’ was an empathetic experience, mirroring her pursuit of success and fixation on the future. The play’s overarching themes struck a chord, prompting deep reflection on personal priorities and the tendency to prioritize the future over the present moment. This introspective journey paralleled my own desire to shift focus towards appreciating the present amidst the chaos of imminent futures and racing thoughts.

Deb’s portrayal encapsulates the struggles faced by many university students, her character’s aspirations and anxieties mirroring the desire for success and the weight of expectations. The play’s themes became a reflective mirror, urging a reconsideration of my own aspirations and the importance of finding balance amidst academic pursuits.

Life is very… Beautiful.

‘I’ll Be Here’ by Claire and ‘One by One by One’ by Warren and Company emerged as personal favourites, captivating me with their energy and the compelling performances by the talented cast. Claire’s emotive rendition and Warren’s infectious energy in these songs left a lasting impression, adding depth to the narrative and enhancing the overall resonance of the play.

The play’s message served as a catalyst for introspection, compelling a re-evaluation of priorities and a conscious effort to savour the present moment. ‘Ordinary Days’ encouraged an embrace of the ‘here and now,’ resonating profoundly with the transitional phase of university life and the pursuit of a balanced perspective between ambition and appreciation for life’s subtle moments.

One of my Favourite Places… The Theatre

In conclusion, Shotgun Theatre’s rendition of ‘Ordinary Days’ delivered compelling performances and delved into profound themes, leaving a lasting impact on the audience. I enthusiastically endorse experiencing more of their productions in the future. Ultimately, the production’s essence lies in appreciating the depth of human connections and uncovering the beauty within life’s seemingly ordinary moments.

Shotgun Theatre: Company

Creative Team

Director… Odette Abbasi

Assistant Director… Sasha Hawksworth

Vocal Coach… Brendan Grimble

Creative Producer… Emma Castell

Lighting Designer… Zoe Mann

Production Supervisor… Ben Lewin

Cast

Warren… Freddie Besly

Deb… Grace Hitchen

Jason… Tristan Berry

Claire… Jena Millington

Pianist… Toby Finch

Production Team

Stage Manager… Amelia Lawery

Assistant Stage Manager… Jovie Chan

Assistant Stag Manager… Arabella Locking

Technical Manager… Tiger Cronk

Technical Assistant… Talia Bunting

Sound Technician… Tom Langley

Company Stage Manager… Matilda Moorse

You can keep up to date with Shotgun Theatre’s Productions on their Instagram page: @shotguntheatre

A huge nerd with a passion for niche tv shows, RPGs, and playing my guitar. You will usually find me consuming unhealthy amounts of coffee, or stressing in the library!