Roses are Dead, and Violets are too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

First of all, I’ll start by saying that I have nothing against public displays of affection. Having just spent a year abroad in Italy and France I’ve seen my fair share of PDAs, from couples cuddling in the piazzas, to lovers destroying the Pont des Arts with their padlocks. My issue is that if (to quote Wet Wet Wet) love really is “all around,” why do we need one specific day to celebrate it? Surely being in love is something which we should appreciate all year round?

If you’ve found “The One” then, of course, I’m more than happy for you. But as someone who has ALWAYS been single for Valentine’s, it’s hard not to feel just a tad depressed when faced with the endless smug couple selfies which saturate Facebook on Valentine’s day. Not to mention the snapchats of roses and chocolates that your friends in long term relationships have been gifted by their gfs and bfs. I don’t want to be that bitter single friend. I’m quite content being alone.

But somehow contemporary tradition demands that I fall into one of two categories. 1.) A Bridget Jones clone, who will spend the evening eating Ben and Jerrys and listening to “All By Myself” on repeat, or 2.) a crazy party girl, who will go out and get mortally drunk to forget the pain. Valentine’s day is great if you’re in a relationship, but if you’re not it’s like being the kid at the swimming pool with a  verruca.

You’re forced to sit back whilst you watch everyone else having fun, even if its not clear that they’re just treading the waters of a bumpy relationship. From where I’m standing, it seems like on Valentine’s day every couple is blissfully happy. Everyone is in love. Everyone is having a suitably romantic evening…apart from me. That’s not true of course, but hey that’s what the greetings card companies and the restaurants want me to think just so that I’ll panic, book a table for one, and write a card to myself from my cat.

One year I went on a date with my housemate since we were the only singles in the house. We had a great time sampling the 2 for £20 deal in Wetherspoons and going to see the Lego movie, but really we shouldn’t have felt obliged to do anything at all. For us Valentine’s day was just like any other, so deserved to be treated as such.

This year I don’t expect to receive any flowers or cards from secret admirers. Of course I’ll click like on your cutesy couple selfies and statuses but forgive me if I decide to ignore you for the rest of the day. If anyone needs me I’ll be at home with my one true love…..chocolate

Kathy is a final year Modern Languages student at the University of Exeter. She's obsessed with cats, vintage clothes and gigging with her ukulele but she hopes one day to be a successful journalist/author.