absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Rosa’s Thai Launch Event in Exeter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I was kindly invited to the Exeter launch of Rosa’s Thai on Wednesday night in the Guildhall Shopping centre of Queen Street. I can honestly say it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I’ve had in Exeter. The food, the staff, the drinks, and the location all made the evening so pleasurable, I can’t wait to go back and try even more from the varied and delicious looking menu.

When I arrived, I was greeted with a delicious Lychee and Ginger Spritz (Prosecco, Cointreau, lychee and ginger juice, coconut sugar and soda water), and it was amazing. I loved how fresh it was and know it will be the perfect summery cocktail. Very refreshing and the perfect companion to the vibrant and fresh food we got to sample. Set in a bright and airy space, the aesthetic decor speaks of Rosa’s heritage and the passion behind the restaurant.

Each table had a basket of prawn crackers with sweet chilli which were incredibly moorish. Not long after we sat down, we were brought dish after dish which were all delicious, and gave a good indication of the wide and varied menu available at Rosa’s. From the Street Snacks part of the menu we were treated to sweetcorn patties with a sweet chili sauce, spring rolls with crunchy vegetables and glass noodles, fresh summer rolls filled with fresh herbs and mixed vegetables, Larb minced chicken lettuce wraps, and, my personal favourite, honey-marinated pork skewers. All these dishes were fresh, delectable and moorish, and things I will definitely being going back to order. With so many veggie, vegan and meat options on the menu, you can guarantee there is something for everyone.

To taste from their mains selection, we were given tasters of the red curry with both tofu or beef on offer. I personally loved the tofu one, and as a very picky tofu fan I think that says a lot! The sauce was a perfect combination of sweet and tangy with a delicious heat running through it. The addition of pineapple also made this dish particularly tasty. My favourite of the mains on offer was the stir-fried vermicelli noodles with honey marinated pork. I am a big noodle fan so this was instantly a winner for me, but it was the pork that really made this dish. It was sweet and salty and truly delicious. I already know that I will be ordering this when I go back. To end our delicious taster menu, we were treated to sticky mango rice. I’ve never had sticky rice before but oh wow, this really was a very special dish. With a sweet undertone of coconut running through the rice, the fresh mango helped to elevate the rice and make this the perfect end to a truly outstanding taster selection.

The launch was made incredibly wholesome by the inclusion of a small speech from the co-founder, Saiphin. She told the truly inspirational story of how Rosa’s Thai has come to be part of British restaurant culture, with over 30 locations in their repertoire. You could see, and taste, the passion Saiphin has for her food, claiming that “food is my heart.” This love and passion came through the food and service offered to all the guests, and it is no wonder that they are so popular. I was incredibly touched to be given one of the cookbooks as we left the launch, and know it will be getting very well used as I try to live up to Saiphin’s level of cooking! I am so excited that Rosa’s is just on my doorstep and will be suggesting to go there with all my friends.

Sophie is in her final year at the University of Exeter. She is the President, Editor in Chief, Social Secretary and Campus Correspondent for the Exeter Chapter of Her Campus (2021 - 2023). Sophie would love to work in the media, specifically marketing, when she graduates because of her love for reading and editing... in fact as you read this she is probably wishing that she was lying by a pool with a good book and an iced coffee!