Romeo and Juliet Film Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Written by Charlotte Bell 

Carlo Carlei’s adaptation of Romeo and Juliet starring Douglas Booth and Hailee Steinfeld as the star-cross’d lovers is finally in our cinemas, and after a long wait for the film I was certainly not disappointed.

In comparison to Baz Luhrmann’s 1997 adaptation of Shakespeare’s most famous love story starring Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio, Carlei brings Romeo and Juliet back to its origins in his new film. The look of the film is beautifully authentic; from Juliet’s stunning rose covered balcony to the fresco-adorned buildings and striking painted ceilings. The costumes and masquerade ball are too enchanting.

The chemistry between Steinfeld and Booth is intense; you certainly feel that Romeo and Juliet’s love is just as quick and passionate as Shakespeare originally wrote it; it truly is love at first sight. There was some controversy over the casting of Hailee Steinfeld at such a young age (14!) –  but this I felt added to the authenticity of the film as she was almost the same age as Juliet was intended to be in the original text. Lucky Steinfeld even had a hand in casting her Romeo, and Booth certainly fitted the bill. Let us pause a moment to gaze at possibly the most beautiful Romeo the world has ever seen…

[pagebreak]

The supporting cast are equally engaging. Ed Westwick positively smoulders as Tybalt and Christian Cooke’s Mercutio is excellently portrayed; their fight scene being one of the highlights for me. Paul Giamatti shines as Friar Laurence, bringing this often slightly strange character right into the heart of the film. His discovery of the doomed Romeo and Juliet at the end is completely heart breaking, so prepared to shed a tear! Be sure to look out for Homeland’s Damien Lewis as Juliet’s father Lord Capulet, who also puts on a wonderful performance.

Shakespeare’s plays can often be difficult to follow, so it was refreshing to watch this film and be able to enjoy the story without struggling to understand what was going on. I’m sure this was largely due to the amazing cast who brought the story alive. Julian Fellowes (the brains behind Downton Abbey) wrote the screenplay and certainly seems to have passed on some of his magic. My only criticism was that dialogue was added, which at times jarred too much with the original script, and other really beautiful speeches were cut altogether (sorry to be a fussy English student, but this really annoyed me!) I think perhaps the filmmakers got slightly carried away by trying to make the film more accessible to modern audiences.

Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed Carlei’s Romeo and Juliet. If you are new to Shakespeare, this adaptation will ease you in gently and there is plenty of enjoyment to be had from the dedication to the original story. It seems that this story of fated young lovers still has a hold on 21st Century audiences. 

Photo Credits: www.graziadaily.co.ukwww.sexwick.tumblr.comwww.theguardian.com

Laura is a third year English Literature student at the University of Exeter. Laura has been a member of Her Campus since 2012, when she decided it was time to actually get involved in something CV worthy. Since joining HCX Laura has been heavily involved with the Culture team writing on everything from film reviews to blogging about what to do on your day off. Having never been involved in journalism before Laura has been pleasantly surprised by how much she has enjoyed her time at HCX. This year Laura is lucky enough to be the editor of Local Culture, and is relishing the excuse to explore Exeter in search of article ideas instead of tackling her extensive reading list. When Laura isn't writing for Her Campus, or staring aimlessly at her laptop in the library hoping a first class essay will miraculously appear, she loves to socialise with friends and explore the area surrounding Exeter (especially if it involves a beach).This summer Laura will be interning at OK! Magazine in their online department, as well as gaining work experience in the press office at Arsenal Football Club. Laura will also be relaxing with friends and family and booking as many holidays as possible. After University Laura wants to pursue a career in public relations in the travel and lifestyle industries. She intends to put off becoming an adult for at least another year by embarking on the classic 'gap year' experience and travelling the world- all in the aid of her future career of course...