Recipe of the Week: Thai Green Chicken Curry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

After much deliberation (and I really do mean a lot of deliberation – I think about food 24/7!) I am very happy to share with you my favourite recipe: Thai Green Chicken Curry!

It was a hard decision, with bangers and mash coming very close in second place, but I think this curry takes the crown. Not only does it taste delicious, i’ts super healthy and super easy to cook!

Serves 2-3

Ingredients

1 heaped teaspoon of coconut oil (or other oil)

2-3 dessert spoons of Thai green curry paste

3 chopped Spring onions

200g chicken breast cut into bitesize chunks

1 Can of coconut milk

150g frozen peas

150g frozen green beans

1 Tbsp fish sauce

½ lime

Handful of fresh coriander

225g brown Basmati rice

Method

1. Heat the oil in a wok, on a medium heat, add the curry paste and fry for two minutes.

2. Add the spring onions and the chicken breast and cook for 3 minutes, until the chicken pieces look white.

3. Add the coconut milk and let simmer for 5 minutes

4. At this point, put the rice on cook, following packet instructions.

5. Add the vegetables and fish sauce and let cook for another 5-7 minutes.

6. The dish is ready to serve! Add a squeeze of lime juice and top with coriander.

To make this recipe vegetarian/vegan, swap the chicken for sweet potato and chickpeas.

I am a big ambassador of eating great, nutritious food and this meal ticks all the right boxes. This easy health fix provides a balance of protein from the chicken/chickpeas, low GI carbohydrate from the brown rice and ‘good’ fat from the coconut milk. Coconut milk also provides fibre and a load of vitamins and minerals to help fight of those winter colds. Perfect!

Image is Becky’s own

I am a third year Sport and Exercise Science student at Exeter Uni. I have strong interests in nutrition and health. I keep fit by going to fitness classes and playing football and believe that exercise makes us feel great! I also run a healthy food blog via Instagram (@foodie_bee) and on the web (www.foodie--bee.blogspot.co.uk). Here I post articles to do with healthy eating on a student budget and current trends in the healthy food industry. In the future I hope to have a job involved with nutrition and helping people to live a healthy lifestyle.