The Recipe For A Perfect Sunday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you, like us, are feeling under the weather and fed up of all of the rain, then why not make the most of staying indoors in the warmth, and spend the day baking. There’s nothing we love more than getting into our pyjamas and indulging in a hot pudding, especially on a Sunday night in front of the Xfactor and Downton. Here are some of our favourites:

Chocolate Fudge Hot-Pot Pudding

Delicious and very chocolaty, this recipe is perfect for all chocolate lovers out there.

Serves 6

125g unsalted butter, softened

125g caster sugar

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

4 eggs, beaten

75g self-raising flour

4 tablespoons cocoa powder

50g dark chocolate, finely chopped

1 tablespoon milk

For the sauce

4 tablespoons cocoa powder

125g muscovado sugar

300ml very hot water

1 ovenproof baking dish, greased with butter

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4. Put the butter into a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until creamy. Beat in the sugar and vanilla, then continue beating until the mixture looks paler and is fluffy in texture.

Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Add a tablespoon of the measured flour with the last portion of egg – the mixture will curdle but don’t worry.

Sift the rest of the flour and the cocoa into the bowl and fold in using a large metal spoon. When thoroughly combined stir in the chopped chocolate and the milk. Transfer the soft mixture to the prepared dish and spread evenly.

To make the sauce, sift the cocoa and sugar into a heatproof bowl with a lip, or a wide-necked jug, and stir or whisk in the hot water to make a smooth, thin sauce. Pour evenly over the pudding mixture.

Bake immediately for 30 to 35 minutes or until the sponge is just firm to the touch and the sauce is bubbling. Serve straight away, with vanilla ice cream.

[pagebreak]

Caramel Apple Crumble

Try this alternative to the traditional apple crumble. It’s very easy to make and will go down well with everybody. Perfect for a rainy day.

Serves 4

8 eating apples, peeled, cored and cubed

6 tablespoons Carnation Caramel cream (this comes in a can or a squeezy tube)

100g plain flour

100g porridge oats

100g butter, cold, diced

1 ovenproof baking dish

Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6. Put the apples into a saucepan with a splash of water, cover, then cook over a high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring now and then until just soft. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the caramel, then tip into an ovenproof dish. Dot small spoonful’s of caramel cream over the apples until only 1 tablespoon is left.

Mix the flour and oats together, then rub in the butter with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture. Stir in the remaining caramel, then scatter over the apples.

Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden and crisp on top. Serve with custard or ice cream.

Recipies From – Great British Bake off Recipe Book and www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9586/caramel-apple-crumble

Image Credits – bbcgoodfood.com, ocado.com

19 years old, and studying economics at the University of Exeter