freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.
How many times have you re-watched The Notebook, resigned to the fact that no man in the real world is actually as romantic as Noah? And I bet if I dropped my bag into the sea, you tell yourself, I’d have to wave goodbye to my phone and bankcards, not stand there looking angelic as Channing Tatum jumps in and grabs it. 

But, fear not, we at Her Campus refuse to believe that Mr.Darcy exists only in the fictitious lives of Bridget Jones and Lizzie Bennett, and so we asked our female friends to share their real life rom-com moments with us. And, ladies, it seems there is hope after all! 

1. The Valentines Day Surprise

So it was a typical story; girl likes boy… Boy, well, doesn’t like girl, in that way. Valentines day was coming up and our lovely lady was upset about finding herself in the friend-zone, and not looking forward to the prospect of spending valentines day with a tub of Ben And Jerrys again. She came home from work on February 14th, ice cream in hand, and opened the door to a kitchen lit by candles and the smell of a home-cooked dinner, to find said boy, with a written menu and choice of dessert: 1) Creme Brule or 2) Be my girlfriend?

2.) The ‘Stop What You are Doing!’

At the end of her first year, one of our friends had been seeing a guy for a month or so. Though things were going well, they both had plans to travel at alternating times during summer and knew there would be no chance to spend time together. So at the end of term, they called it a day and vowed to be friends when term came around again.

Two weeks later he was travelling Europe and she was working at a festival when suddenly her phone rang: ‘I came back from France early… How soon can you get to London?’

3.) The Train Station Goodbye

Our final rom-com moment comes from a friend whose boyfriend at the time was moving to Australia to work for a year. They’d agreed that the pressure of such a long distance relationship might be too much for them, and, after a weekend of romance, parted ways at the train station. 

A blubbering mess, our girl describes how she got on the train and avoided eye contact with the passenger opposite her, a cute guy who looked a few years older. After a few minutes of composure, she was off again, sobbing into her sleeve, when the boy got up and walked out of the carriage. Embarrassed that she’d made him feel so uncomfortable, she tried to tone the hyperventilating down a notch. However, moments later the boy returned, and, without saying a word, placed a wad of tissues infront of our friend. When she glanced up to thank him, he gave a sad smile, threw his bag over his shoulder and got off the train. 

Why she didn’t run off after him, we do not know. 

So, next time you watch another Nicholas Sparks classic, reconsider that rant about the lack of chivalrous, amorous young men around. Here we have proof that special moments aren’t just restricted to Hollywood movies, and that our romantic heroes do exist. You just might have to look a little further than a Wednesday Timepiece…

Picture credits: weheartit.com
Siobhan is a third year English Literature student and Sex and Relationships Co-Editor for HCX. When she isn't frantically looking up plot summaries on Spark Notes the night before a seminar, she enjoys unwinding with a bottle of wine (or two) outside Timepiece. Though she hasn't yet mastered the art of cooking, she is an avid fan of eating. She also enjoys discussing the joys and woes of the opposite sex and can't wait to do more of this as part of the Sex and Relationships team this year.