RAG Officers: Henry and Immi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Here at Her Campus Exeter we have been keeping up to date with all of the recent RAG elections and we are thrilled to introduce the new RAG Officers for 2013: Henry and Immi. We are sure that they are going to do a great job next year and here is the inside scoop on what they have planned and how they are going to achieve it.

First of all, congratulations to you both! How are you feeling about becoming the new RAG officers and more excitingly, about being campus celebrities?!

Immi:  I am very excited about being an Officer. It’s the third year I’ve been in RAG and a great place to end my time here.

Henry: I am so chuffed at being a Campus Celebrity and feel like I’m definitely on the way to BNOC status, but obviously being a RAG Officer is great too!

RAG is a huge organisation and a big part of campus life. Do you have any big ideas for how you will approach the challenge of running it next year?

Immi: I think we are going to focus on integrating ourself further with different societies and focus on how we are perceived. We want to be friendly and inviting for fresher’s and offer an alternative society to sports clubs.

Henry: It’s the first time that Immi and I are sharing a role together and we have both had differing experiences in RAG so hopefully we can offer the best of both worlds.

SSB has obviously been a hot topic of conversation over the last few months. What do you both think about the issue and the future of the event?

Immi: It’s a shame that incidents that were out of RAG’s control have led to such big controversy.

Henry: RAG events always raise a huge amount of money for charity and at the end of the day we want our charities to suffer the least whatever the outcome.

What has been your favourite RAG event over the last year?

Immi: For me it would be the Exeter Invades Bristol Trip during RAG week. No matter how much you plan and organise a trip there is always something that ends up going wrong! This time it was two people that forgot to take their ID and we ended up spending five hours in subway!

Henry: We had a fantastic turnout and raised a massive amount of money when we did Exeter’s Got Talent and the winner is also playing at Beach Break Live.

What is your working relationship like – does one of you definitely wear the trousers in the partnership?

Immi: I definitely wear the trousers in the relationship! If I don’t have a phone call from Henry every three or four days I generally get withdrawal symptoms.

Henry: I am the man so I definitely wear the trousers actually! Our Guild Boss already asked us if there was going to be any ‘hanky panky’ between the RAG officers and I was quick to correct her that my long-term girlfriend is actually another committee member in RAG.

What is your best night out in Exeter?

Immi: Mine is definitely Arena on a Thursday night. Although my top tip for the toilet queue is to go into the mens! 

Henry: Any night out with Immi is fun – she is a party animal.

Do you have any advice for anyone that is interested in becoming involved with RAG or running for a committee position?

Immi: Facebook either me or Henry if you are interested as there are still some committee positions available for next year and we are especially looking for people at St Lukes  campus to become part of the RAG community.

Henry: RAG is a great way to gain important skills you can use at university and once you have left and got a job. It’s a great way to get experience of fundraising and event management and a business structure of a society, but without the pressure of having a job in the real world. 

Thank you for sparing a few minutes of your time to answer our questions and best of luck to you both next year!