Politician or Celebrity?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The Tory MP Nadine Dorries has stuck to her decision to appear on reality show ‘I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!’ – despite it leading to her suspension from the Conservative party. In a move which has been described in a none too positive tone by many of her peers, the MP for mid-Bedfordshire went ahead with plans to spend up to a month eating insects and partaking in ‘bushtucker trials’ in the Australian jungle, facing a disciplinary hearing on her return to the UK.

A survey of 5,500 people by aol.com recently suggested that as many as 86% believed that her suspension from the party was the right decision. David Cameron told ITVs ‘This Morning’ that her presence in the jungle meant an absence from her constituency, supporting chief whip Sir George Young’s action in ensuring she is ‘no longer a Conservative MP’. That fact that Dorries didn’t inform anyone of her plans to be away for a month can’t have helped her case, nor can her likening her potential month away to a political trip, giving the example of neighboring MP Alistair Burt, who is often away from his constituency on ministerial business. Burt responded that he was able to maintain contact with his constituents whilst out of the country, which Nadine will be unable to do as the rules of ‘I’m a Celebrity’ forbid any contact with the outside world.

In a blaze of political backstabbing, Dorries has been blasted by many more in Westminster, with the general consensus appearing to be that she is not doing the right thing. “All those rats and snakes – and that was even before she went to the jungle!” joked Harriet Harman, whilst Communities Secretary Eric Pickles scathingly commented that he would be ‘ringing in religiously every week’ to keep her in the jungle. HCX doubts that this is how she hoped to gain votes! A survey of friends found that the majority disagree with her choice to appear on the show – issues such as her ability to do her job whilst away, and what would happen to her salary were at the forefront of concerns. With her stint on the show likely to net her £40,000, she will also continue to receive her MPs salary of over £60,000 a year. Chairman of the Conservative Party, Grant Shapps has suggested that she will ‘want to donate the performance fee to charity’ – advice friends agreed she should follow.

In explaining her involvement in the show, Dorries has argued that she attempted to present an image of politicians as normal and trustworthy, stating that “a lot of people don’t vote and if they can see I am a normal mother who comes from a poor background and who didn’t go to a posh school, they may think they can be a politician too. Maybe they will trust us more.” She also hopes to use the public exposure to argue against late abortion. However many see her as having abandoned her constituency, and doubt her ability to present a sensible and responsible image whilst being asked to eat unsavory animal parts. Fellow Tory MP Sarah Wollaston points out that in order for ‘women to be taken seriously, we need them to take the job seriously’, whilst friends agree that appearing in the jungle may not have boosted her public image. There have been comparisons made with former contestant Gillian McKeith – who could forget her infamous fainting episode when faced with a sixth bushtucker trial? Furthermore, articles across the web have begun to appear focusing not on her political beliefs but her choice of bikini.

It is arguable that there is a fine line between celebrity and politician – one that few manage to negotiate successfully. The involvement of politicians in reality TV has a somewhat turbulent past, with Ann Widecombe being widely ridiculed after appearing on Strictly Come Dancing – despite gaining public support – whilst MP George Galloway received minimal respect after his stint on Celebrity Big Brother, one memorable moment saw him pretend to be a cat. Now out of the jungle, rumours and gossip about Dorries are becoming commonplace. Whilst she may have hoped to reach the greater public with her appearance on I’m a Celebrity, HCX wonders – is she doing the right thing, or is it impossible to be both a TV Celebrity and a politician?

Photo credits: mtv.co.uk, mirror.co.uk, blogs.coventrytelegraph.net

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.