The Perfect Fit Jeans Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Shopping for a pair of jeans with the perfect fit is a task many of us dread. It tends to end in frustration, as every pair are inevitably too long, too fitted, too baggy and not as flattering as we would ideally like them to be. When trying on and buying jeans there are many factors to consider, including the fit which will complement your figure, the denim colour which will suit your shape best, and the amount of ‘give’ which will provide a flattering silhouette.

Advertisements for jeans notoriously star goddess-looking (and usually photoshopped!) models, whom few of us resemble. This unrealistic portrayal further adds to the difficult task of buying the perfect jeans,  because what we would regard as a normal, healthy figure is usually not shown in fashion marketing. Often when shopping for jeans, it appears that many pairs have been constructed with this perfect statuesque figure in mind, so jeans are often too long and fitted for most of us. This article will hopefully act as a guide to counteract these perceptions of jeans, and aid you in finding that perfect pair to complement your figure. 

[pagebreak]

The colour, or ‘wash‘, of the denim you choose is important as it complements the fit and style of the jeans. Typically, a very dark tone is the most flattering and slimming wash. However, if you want to have a lighter, or more distressed effect, opt for jeans with this detail running along the front of your thigh and down the jean leg. If this detail is framed either side by a slightly darker, contrasting tone, the effect will be an elongated and slim appearance. There are multiple styles and cuts of jeans on offer which can make the whole process even more complicated. The fit of the jeans can alter the appearance of your figure and balance out proportions. For example boot-cut jeans can complement a curvier figure as the flair enhances the natural curve of the hip. The fit of the jeans also depends on the outfit you are wearing; for example if you are planning on wearing jeans tucked into boots, skinny fit jeans are more practical. 

The rise of the jeans is also important as it determines where the waistband sits. This feature is mainly due to preference and what is comfortable. A higher waist band can be more flattering, creating the illusion of longer legs, especially when teamed with a slightly cropped jumper or top. The placement of the pockets is something many people don’t take into account, but this should also be considered when buying jeans, as again this can alter the appearance of your figure. If your derrière is petite, you may want to choose jeans with embellished pockets to draw attention. Pockets placed quite high can create the appearance of a toned bum, whereas pockets placed too low can give a flat appearance. 

Many brands have finally started to recognise that different jean styles need to be designed for different figures. The classic denim brand Levi’s started this development with the creation of Curve ID range which offers three main styles: Slight Curve, Demi Curve and Bold Curve. These different styles cater for different proportions rather than a restricted size. High-street shops such as Topshop have started to introduce different styles for different figures, as seen in their petite and tall ranges. When buying jeans, you are also more likely to get a better fit if you are able to choose the length and waist measurement, instead of being restricted to standard sizing. Gap and Topshop both allow you to select the exact measurements which fit your body, which means you won’t end up with excess material around the knees, or jeans which are too long. However, if your jeans are too long then rolling up the legs slightly can look good when teamed with heels or pumps.

Finding the perfect pair of jeans really can be a struggle, but these tips and tricks will hopefully make the search a lot less stressful!

Photo Credits:

www.tumblr.com

www.weheartit.com

www.businessoffashion.com