The Orient Express: The Train, The Fashion, The Magic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Surely there is nothing more romantic and sophisticated than boarding a vintage luxury train in a hat and heels at London Victoria, and journeying through Paris and Switzerland with a cocktail in one hand, and finally arriving in Venice, with its softly coloured buildings and shimmering canals.

The journey begins in London where passengers are welcomed with a Bellini as they board the navy and gold carriages of the train. By the evening, as the train is drifting away from Paris, dinner is served in the glamorous dining carts, with women wearing elegant evening gowns and their hair coiffed in an up-do. In the morning, the train passes Lake Zurich and the Swiss mountains and then cuts through picturesque Italian vineyards. 

Once in Venice, passengers can stay at different places within the city; the hotel linked to the Orient Express is the Ciprani, which has plush rooms decorated in the Venetian style, with views overlooking the canals and the Casanova gardens.

This dream-like city is what awaits passengers of the Orient Express. Unfortunately, its price tag is not quite so dreamy, but for those who still want to experience the glamorous atmosphere of the famous train journey, there is ‘A Night on the Orient Express’ by Veronica Henry.

This book has been a favourite summer read for many and follows a variety of passengers and their different mysterious and romantic lives on board the train.

Her Campus was lucky enough to interview Veronica, the author of this widely popular book who has travelled on the train herself. Here is what she had to say:

Where do you get your inspiration from?

I always choose a setting first. I have to picture the environment before the story can start. I want to take my readers to somewhere they – and I – would want to go, somewhere that is beautiful and indulgent.

What is so magical about the Orient Express?

It’s like stepping back in time! The dining cart is spectacular, the bar has a grand piano and the barman serves cocktails he has invented himself. The cabins are not big but it’s cleverly done; during the day it’s a sofa and at night it is two bunks. The beds have beautiful linen and are very comfy. It’s quite wobbly trying to get to sleep at night but the sense of adventure is extraordinary.

What is the fashion like on board the train?

Everyone is dressed up to the nines! It’s very dressy and glam at the grand departure and at dinner – some women even wore period costume with fur coats and little hats.

What did you think of Venice?

It’s just incredible, like stepping out onto a film set with the crumbling buildings melting into the canals. We stayed in the most ridiculous hotel room – it was such an experience.

And finally, what is your ultimate romantic destination?

I love New York – there’s just so much to do and the food is amazing, so it would have to be there.

So whilst we start saving for a ticket for the illustrious train journey, we can pour ourselves a glass of wine and open a book that can sweep us along on the beautiful and exciting Orient Express.

‘A Night on the Orient Express’ is currently selling in Waterstones for £5.99

Photo credits: www.orient-express.comwww.hotelcipriani.com, www.waterstones.com

2nd Year History Student