This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Half the battle when starting something is the long road it would take for it to end. When you pick up a long book you flick through the chunk of pages or begin an essay on a blank page, trying to visualise it decorated with your thoughts after the first draft. For me at least, I feel the pressure to finish something before its even started. As you could probably guess, this is an annoying and limiting thought process to have.

Not every beginning needs an end. When you go for a walk in the woods, you take in the soft breeze and bluebells sprinkled along the floor before you reach the end. You take time to appreciate the journey. It is not in coming to the end that made you enjoy it. Perhaps for a more relevant analogy: You don’t get ready for the night looking forward to the crushing hangover in the morning, you look forward to seeing your friends, getting some drinks and having a good time. Saying that, I am aware of the millions of Facebook posts claiming that the journey is better than the final destination. But I think its important to consider just how much you learn on the journey, in the mistakes you make and how you learn from them.

Speaking from personal experience, I began writing a book for my sister, inspired by a dream I once had (whether I should be embarrassed about this fact or not stands with you). After 2 years of trying to finish the entire book, I moved on. Accepting that the plot and characters were simply not doing anything to help me finish the book. They did help me understand that writing a ‘silly little romance book’ isn’t easy, it helped me become a better writer and also gave me something to talk about here. It wasn’t a good book nor was it well received by my singular audience (I’m pretty sure she has never opened it to this day). But you get the point: not every beginning needs an end.

Freya Bass

Exeter '26

I am Freya, a 19 year old student at The University of Exeter, currently in my first year. Taking the English and Creative Writing Joint Honours degree, I want to begin writing articles and working towards building a portfolio of my pieces. Before University I attended my schools Sixth Form and excelled in English based subjects. I completed an EPQ on the presence of 17th Century witchcraft in literature, which allowed me to stay in contact with author Malcolm Gaskill for the better part of a year. This was my first time in contact with an author and no less one that was giving me feedback on how to improve my work! I come from Surrey, Britain and have three siblings: One of which being my non-identical twin sister Sienna. My childhood has had a big impact on my interests surrounding writing. For example, I love books, movies and baking. Being a national Team-Gym gymnast when I was younger, aided me in my ability to learn fast and apply new techniques to my work and so I love constructive criticism! Moreover, I have a deep interest in psychology and criminology and love a good documentary on Netflix! But nothing can beat a light hearted comedy – especially if Adam Sandler’s in it! I also enjoy fishing and running as a way to get away from the screens and to encourage my creative thoughts.