The Northern Lights: Best In A Decade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Number one on my bucket list: stay in an ice hotel and see the Northern Lights.

If this entices you and fills you with awe and excitement, don’t put it off any longer. Now is the time to plan it as, according to Nasa, the chances of seeing the aurora borealis are set to be the best for a decade this December! However, you better hurry up and persuade your parents (or very generous boyfriend) now because I don’t think it’s going to be a cheap one…

According to Nasa scientists, solar activity occurs on an 11-year cycle, which is set to reach its peak next month. The sun’s polar magnetic fields are predicted to ‘flip’, creating an increase in cosmic rays, sunspots and solar flares. This season has got off to a flying start with many spectacular sightings in Sweden and Finland in particular.

To capitalize on what is sure to be a flood of excitable tourists; specialist operators have expanded their range of programmes and activities this winter. If the unusual light displays weren’t enough to draw you in, read on to get some HCX inspiration to booking your holiday (or at least some incredible photos to ogle at during your long hours in the library!). 

For the Action Man / GI-Jane…

There is no shortage of unusual adventures to keep you on your feet throughout your trip. No visit would be complete without perhaps the most popular activity: husky safaris, a thrilling experience for the whole family. Combine this with cross-country skiing, snowmobiling and tobogganing for a full-throttle itinerary! If speed isn’t your thing however, snowshoe hikes offer a slower-paced way to appreciate the frosted surrounds of your winter wonderland. If you want something a bit off-the-beaten-track for a truly unique experience, it’s possible to have a Super jeep tour to Lofthellir lava cave and Dettifloss waterfall, the largest in Europe, to see some remarkably beautifully carved ice sculptures on the way.

For the Romantics…

If you’re going to do this, do it right. Stay in an ice hotel, your very own crystal palace, complete with unrivaled ice carvings and fur-lined beds – you won’t need an excuse to snuggle up at night! Some places offer the chance to build your very own igloo too. If you’re looking for relaxation and romance, the ‘Aurora Bubble’ provides an incredible (and warm) location to view the light display from the comfort of your own bed or even unwind in the numerous geothermal pools. Alternatively, if it’s a bit more of a buzz you’re after, the Northern Lights bar at the Ion Hotel offers a stunning location to witness the spectacle, drink in hand.

[pagebreak]

For the Animal Lover…

So you may have seen them in the zoo or on TV but you surely still have an extensive list of animals you have yet to observe in the wild, in their true habitat. Here you can tick off an abundance of must-see wildlife including the lynx, wolf, bear, elk and reindeer in this awe-inspiring environment, also a dream for bird-watchers.

For the Intellectuals…

For those of you who can’t quite justify the time away from essay writing and exam revision, at least you can be calm in the knowledge that this trip will be educational. You can incorporate a Planetarium visit as well as lectures and guided excursions by renowned British astronomers.

For the Culture Vultures…

The indigenous natives, the Sami, preserve a remarkable culture that is like no other. Itineraries can include home-stays for a true experience of local tastes and customs. If you have more than a few days to spare, why not combine your trip with a visit to the Scandinavian cities of Oslo, Reykjavik or Stockholm, to name a few.

Going further-a-field? If you’re lucky enough to already have plans to go to Canada this winter, there are sure to be sightings in the North.

Scandinavia too far to go? The Scottish Highlands have already bore witness to a number of colourful displays.

So what are you waiting for? Get up North this winter and see the Northern Lights: the best excuse for a white Christmas in over a decade.

Photo Credits: Pinterest

Carrie Ashton is a third year Geography student and Deputy Travel Editor for HCX. Having been on a committee each year so far (organising the Exeter Halls Summer Ball and Treasurer for GeogSoc), she is keen to be part of something new - starting the travel section of Her Campus being the ideal opportunity! Having grown up in South Africa and travelled fairly extensively since and in her Gap Year, Carrie has a keen interest in travel. Although she loves lying in the sun with a good book, it is the more adventurous trips that she enjoys - including scuba diving, sailing and reaching the summit of Kilimanjaro last year in aid of Practical Action.