A Night by Night Guide on What to Wear to Exeter’s Finest Clubs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Post fresher’s week you will have had a taste of what a night out in Exeter is like, you will have been infected with Fresher’s flu, you might as well accept this lower standard of health because that won’t go away. Exeter clubbing attire is possibly the most relaxed in the country, I have literally gone straight from the gym to a club before and no one batted an eyelid. This article provides you with a run down of the kind of outfits that suit our Fresher’s week events to stop you from being that one girl who inevitably wears heels and regrets it.

The Lemon Grove

This is Exeter’s only student club, people either love it or they hate it, whichever group you fall into you will nevertheless have an eventful night. In regards of what to wear on a night at the Lemmy (Saturday night is the only night you would be caught at the Lemmy usually) you can wear basically anything you want. For most of us Exe gals that usually means your VK stained Adidas trainers, high waisted Topshop jeans and your mates crop top that will inevitably get chunder on.

Monday night- Fever, Unit 1 or Cavern

Fever is Exeter’s newest club and has taken over all of 4 Play Events from Moz (Rosie’s) despite Moz’s desperate pleas for business, don’t be lulled in by their promise of free entry it’s all about Fever now. For Fever the uniform is posh edgy- a vintage Sports brand sweatshirt from Depop. Unit 1 is also popular and be prepared for possibly one of the sweatiest clubs you’ve ever experienced and a load of reps that love each other and themselves equally as much. For Unit 1 wear the lightest clothing possible and don’t worry about your make up too much as it will sweat off. Denim skirts, trainers and crop tops are best for when you down your Sex on the Beach (cheapest, most alcoholic drink available) before hitting the D-floor. For Cavern you want to wear that cool wind breaker you bought for Bestival and plenty of glitter!!

Tuesday- Cheesy Tuesday at Unit 1, Salsa Tuesday at TP

If it were possible Cheesys is quite possibly even sweatier than DSP. You will only need to go once because every single Cheesys is the same. Some people do love it, however, and attend it religiously.

Wednesday- TIMEPIECE!!!

Wednesday night is sports night where Exeter’s most athletic try and make it to Timepiece. This is the time to try out any kind of sports team. Even if you are not sporty it is worth it for the socials. On Wednesday your society will choose a theme that you have to abide by or you will face a forfeit; the aim is to not chunder and find a handsome man in TopTop (voted Europe’s easiest place to pull). Your most memorable nights good or bad will undeniably be had here; it’s basically a fresher’s right to passage. 

Thursday- Fever or Unit 1 

For some reason Fever’s Monday regulars seem to think they’re much cooler for being photographed at Dirty Beat (which we are #sorrynotsorry) the music is more techno so you don’t care when someone spills their VK down your cool flared trousers as you will be too busy throwing shapes.

Friday- Cellar Door, Timepiece, Cavern

Cellar Door (sorry ‘Move’) is Exeter’s answer to a grunge night out. You will undeniably run into Exeter’s surf club and Snowsports club at Cellar Door and bag an Insta-worth pic with the graffiti covered backdrop. You want to make sure that your outfit looks like you haven’t made any effort, your hair looks like you just came off your surf board and not spent an hour creating a tousled look using Toni & Guy salt spray. Bright clothes are necessary so you can look wavy and also find your friends in the smoky basement. Glitter is a necessity! It looks cool and it will hide your sweat. If that doesn’t take your fancy then Sketch Friday at Timepiece is a safe bet. I would not, however, recommend Unit 1 to anyone on any night but Friday is the worst unless you like being groped by 40 year old locals.