NEWS FLASH! Top 5 Stories You Should Know About This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Not had time to follow the news this week? HCX have found some of this week’s most interesting headlines so sit back and catch up on the stories you need to know about!

Savile abuse allegations continue

Police have revealed that they are investigating 120 lines of inquiry over sexual abuses by Jimmy Savile spanning just over four decades including sexually assaulting hospital patients while they lay in their beds, having sex with underage girls, and molesting youngsters. Last week Savile’s family decided to remove the headstone marking his grave “out of respect for public opinion” and stated that they were aware of the impact the stone could have on the “dignity and sanctity” of the cemetery.
There are now 40 potential victims and 15 police forces investigating the BBC presenter’s reign of child abuse, but despite this a full criminal investigation into the allegations against Savile, dating back to 1959, has been ruled out by Met Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe as Savile is no longer alive. Police have said they will nevertheless look to see if there is “anyone involved who is still alive who can be brought to justice”. As many as five other celebrities could face investigation, including convicted pedophile Gary Glitter and comedian Freddie Starr. It has been reported that a number of alleged victims have contacted lawyers and could sue any institution that is discovered to have links with Savile’s alleged crimes.

Fresh eyes in the search for April Jones

The massive hunt for April Jones, who was last seen in a street near her home in Machynlleth, Powys, on 1 October, continues as police stated that the search for April will now shift to specific areas outside her home town. Although Superintendent Ian John, who is leading the investigation, admitted there was nowhere else in the UK more difficult to search, officers have confirmed that the search of the small market town was almost complete and teams would now examine parts of the surrounding countryside. Mr John has paid tribute to the hard work of his police colleagues and described the experience as “humbling”, going on to state that whilst many of his officers were being allowed to rest he welcomed the arrival of “fresh eyes and fresh legs” from other forces. Mark Bridger, 46, from Machynlleth, has been charged with April’s abduction and murder and attempting to pervert the course of justice. He was remanded in custody and is due to reappear in court on 11 January.

Santander $2.7 billion deal for RBS UK branches collapse

Spain’s Santander pulled out of its 1.65 billion pound deal to buy 316 UK branches from Royal Bank of Scotland late on Friday. The Spanish bank said the deal was taking too long but Sir Philip Hampton hinted that Santander may have decided that now was not a good time to be taking on new businesses. RBS had been working on the sale for more than two years and struck a preliminary £1.65bn deal with Santander to sell the branches in August 2010. However, technology and separation issues pushed back the original December 2011 completion date. RBS, 83 per cent owned by the British taxpayer, said it would restart the sale process which had been ordered by European authorities as a cost for Britain’s rescue of RBS in 2008 but this setback could further push back the timeframe for taxpayers to see a return on the 45 billion pound RBS bailout.

Boomerang kids on the increase

More than 1.6 million people between the ages of 20 and 40 are living with their parents because they cannot afford to rent or buy their own home. The figures are revealed in a report by YouGov on behalf of the housing and homelessness charity Shelter. According to the survey of 5,379 people, 41 per cent of the parents surveyed said they do not believe their children will ever be able to save up for a deposit to get on the housing ladder. Similar to this figure, 44 per cent of parents were also concerned that living at home was holding their children back from leading an independent adult life.
Campbell Robb, chief executive of Shelter, said: “These figures paint a vivid picture of 20- and 30-somethings in arrested development.” The survey suggested 35 per cent of adults had been forced to move back in with their parents while nearly a quarter said their relationship with their parents had deteriorated as a result. Mr Robb stated that it’s questionable “whether it’s acceptable that this is becoming the norm for people to live at home into their mid-30s”.

Royal Marines arrested on suspicion of murder

Royal Military Police have arrested seven Royal marines on suspicion of murder following an incident in Afghanistan last year when the 3 Commando Brigade were based in Helmand. It is the first time British troops have been arrested on murder charges in the 11-year conflict. Video footage on a Marine’s laptop is said to show commandos discussing what to do with a wounded gunman inside a compound in Afghanistan more than a year ago. An MoD spokesman said: “These arrests demonstrate the Department and the Armed Forces’ determination to ensure UK personnel act in accordance with their rules of engagement and our standards.” If the seven Marines are charged with murder, they will be prosecuted through the military courts. However with tensions still high after the recent anti-Islam video released in the USA, troops currently serving in Afghanistan will be on high alert, as the Taliban could use the arrests to try to bolster support for the insurgency.

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.