This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Tuesday 10th December’s ‘Human Rights Day’ was an opportunity to look at empowering young people’s voices in our political environment. The UN celebrated the role of young people in bringing human rights alive; rights to a healthy environment, equal opportunities for women and young girls, rights to be able to participate in decision making, and rights to be able to express what they believe freely.

Globally, fresh young minds are appearing at the forefront of activist movements, speaking up for their rights and futures, wanting peace, justice and equal opportunities delivered for the upcoming generations. Amnesty International highlights how, with the rise of anti-human-rights politics and global leaders taking inward-looking positions on global issues such as migration and environmental change, the space for exercising civil rights and civil protest is shrinking.

However, young people are taking an opportunity to rise up and be heard. They are challenging global issues, with their voices no longer “drowned out by ‘strong men politics’ on anti-human-rights rhetoric”. They are also doing so with composure and style.

We’ve all heard and seen plenty of Greta Thunberg, the 16-year-old climate activist, who has been named ‘Times Person of the Year’. She has become the face of the power of youth, but here I draw attention to 3 other empowering young ladies, unafraid to cause controversy, allowing their voices to be heard on a key number of human rights issues…

Elsa Ramos: Fighter for LGBT rights in Spain

Elsa, an 8-year-old transgender girl is fighting for equal rights and the freedom of expression in rural Spain.

She has been an LGBT activist for 4 years, and was recently cheered at a regional assembly this year with a heart-warming and powerful speech, finishing with “Above all, transgender people have the right to be who we are. Do not let anyone get in the way of your happiness. Thank you.”

Several MPs have since expressed their support for Elsa Ramos, including the mayor of Barcelona, Ada Colau, who said she “cannot think of words that are more important or precise than those spoken by Elsa”.

Here is what Elsa had to say:

“My name is Elsa and I am eight years old. It is not the first-time people talk about me on this site, in the Assembly of Extremadura. Four years ago, my mother came and was telling what my story was.

I am a transsexual girl, I live in Arroyo de San Serván and during the last four years I have lived a very important path, the path of my happiness. I am in the school Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, the school of my town, and there I have been fortunate that my classmates have understood how I have been since day one. However, it is still necessary to remember that I have the right to be called as I feel. And that, four years later, mistakes are a bit weird, as if someone could doubt that I am a trans girl.

And I also want to say that deep down I was lucky to be born in my town. Everyone knows there that I am a different girl, a transsexual girl, and I feel loved and respected. Everyone knows me. But of all that I have to say today the most important thing is this: ladies and gentlemen who are dedicated to politics, despite threats, make laws that recognize that people are diverse. Above all, transgender people have the right to be who we are. Do not let anyone get in the way of your happiness.

Thank you.”

Harper Nielsen: Standing for the true history of her country in Australia

Harper Nielsen, 9 years of age, is a young student who refused to stand for the National Anthem in school as she claims ‘Advance Australia Fair means advance white Australia’.

She openly spoke out about how she believes the National Anthem of Australia is not inclusive of Indigenous communities in her country, and thus fails to consider the true history or legacy of Australia; airbrushing out Indigenous communities:

When it says we are young, it completely ignores the fact that indigenous culture was here for over 50,000 years before colonisation”

Harper, wanting people to be respectful and inclusive, explains the motivations behind her refusal to stand; asking for her opinion to be heard and wanting to take a stand on something she feels strongly about and be accepted for doing so.

Following the controversy, she has been condemned by right-wing Australian politicians who have labelled her a ‘brat’ and suggested she be taken out of school. Such controversial responses to her actions merely reflect the need for more acceptance of young people and their opinions.

Nielsen refuses to allow the personal attacks to stop her standing for what she believes in, expressing she is not someone who abides “by the rules of older people just because they’re older”.

Autumn Peltier: Water protector, activist for clean water and Indigenous communities in Canada

Autumn Peltier is 15 years old, and an activist for clean water and Indigenous communities. She urges the global community to respect the sacredness and importance of clean water for the current, and future generations to come. “We can’t eat money or drink oil” she said in front of the UN this year.

Peltier brings in fresh perspectives, views from different communities and explains the sacredness of water through personal beliefs as an Indigenous person living in Canada.

“Canada is not a third world country but here in Canada the Indigenous people live in third world conditions”.

She says we should stop and think about how we are governing: “maybe, we need to have more elders and youth together sitting at the decision table when people make decisions about our lands and waters”

A University of Exeter student studying Human Geography.