This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Bored of watching the same old thing? Wanting to explore a new TV genre? Need a new series to make the day just a little bit better? Well, you’ve come to the right place. Everybody needs a bit of TV in their lives and it is nice to have a break from the uni work. So, if you’re looking for Netflix recommendations then look no further… 

Grace & Frankie 

When two men announce they have fallen in love with each other no one is more shocked than their wives. Staring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, we watch two women become best friends, bonded by a major upheaval within their lives. Complete opposites, Grace and Frankie must learn to live alongside each other in their shared beach house. Looking at love, heartbreak, friendship and grief, Grace and Frankie is definitely one which warms your heart to the very core. 

How to Get Away With Murder

For all you people out there who love a classic crime mystery – this one is a MUST. Focusing on a law professor and the students she brings into her close circle, we follow criminal cases, lessons of the law and intense education. We watch as the personal lives of these students transforms upon meeting this one law professor and nothing is set to be the same ever again. Viola Davis performance is striking and I would recommend watching it just for her.

Jack Whitehall – Travels With My Father 

Now for some comic relief. If you want an easy watch filled with laughter in every episode than this is the one for you. In five seasons, Jack travels the globe with his father, Michael, pushing him to the very limits (mainly of his sanity). Not only do we see a heartwarming bond between father and son, we see the dangers which could arise being stuck with a parent abroad! Hold onto your hats, both Jack and Michael are in for quite the trip and luckily take us with them. 

The Woman In The House Across The Street From The Girl In The Window 

Except for the crazy title – this series was so good I binged it in a weekend. Kristen Bell plays Anna, a mother who has faced struggle, turmoil and upset. Adjusting to life, she takes an interest in the events happening across the street and she wishes she hadn’t. This series both confused and interested me, it is one of those mysteries where you just can’t look away. Prepare yourselves for a shocker of a storyline which makes your heart beat and scratch your head. 

Ratched 

Based on the character of Nurse Ratched from the 1962 novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, this adaption of the main character is AMAZING. Taking place in 1940’s California, Nurse Ratched gets a job at an asylum. Yet, all is not what it seems with her and we are soon exposed to the real reason she happens to be there. With performances from Sarah Paulson, Finn Wittrock, Sharon Stone and Cynthia Nixon, this cast knows how to tell a story. I am sitting patiently waiting for a second series… 

Workin’ Moms 

Following the lives of a group of ‘Moms,’ this series portrays the trials and tribulations of parenthood. The comedy, the sincerity and the realness; there isn’t a series out there that has made me laugh like this one has. Relatable is just the best word to sum this one up. Juggling motherhood, a career, relationships and basically life – it not only puts it all into perspective, it tackles some very real issues which make you think. Catherine Reitman is particularly outstanding in her role as Kate bringing empathy, comedy and happiness to this Canadian sitcom.  

Megan Barber

Exeter '23

22 years old studying History. You can find me eating, reading or planning my next adventure...