This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

So nail art was a micro trend at Paris Fashion Week (PFW) and you can recreate the look at home with a few simple tips. As students we are all on a tight budget so all the nail polishes I’ve used are from Barry M.

There are a couple of DIY tutorials on the internet; the two best ones (in my opinion) are below:

I sat down on Wednesday with my flatmate and we had a go at the ombre nail (second tutorial). Let’s just say we had some mixed results; firstly we tried a pale pink/peach blending into a lilac. Even though we were using No.7 Stay Perfect Pigment Rich nail polishes there wasn’t enough pigment to be able to blend the two colours so we ended up switching to a sunset theme using Barry M polishes, which gave better results.

Here’s our step-by-step guide to getting sunset nails, all nail varnishes are from Barry M:

1. Apply a base coat in the first colour; we used number 134 in Yellow
2. Wait for this to be bone dry before you start applying the second colour; 301 in block Orange in our case
3. Dab the two colours onto a sponge (we used a basic washing up sponge), slightly overlapping them and dab this onto your nail
4. Wait for this to be bone dry again and fill in any gaps with the appropriate colour
Don’t worry if you don’t get it right first time; it took us a couple of attempts to make our nails look remotely nice. They say practise makes perfect so if you don’t know what to do with yourself one day this is the perfect way to spend an afternoon.

If you have any alcohol left after a night out…

Paint your nails using your favourite nail polish. Wait for your nails to dry, dip them in vodka and place a strip of newspaper on them, making sure there are no bubbles. Wait a couple of minutes and carefully peel the newspaper off, make sure you add a topcoat to prevent the ink form smudging. You’ll get amazing nails which will impress all your friends!

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.