This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Part of the joy of Christmas is snuggling under a fluffy blanket with a warm cup of Christmas Tea (or mulled wine) and putting on the most festive of festive Christmas films. So, in order to help you pick what to watch, I have complied a list of what are my top five Christmas films. Kicking off the list at number five is… 

The Grinch (Jim Carrey obvs) 

This film is iconic and a staple in so many households. Carrey’s portrayal of the grinch is hilarious, and as I get older I feel I relate to him more and more. That scene where he tries on a million outfits before declaring ‘that’s it. I’m not going’ could not be more me when it come to finding something to wear out at all the Christmas drinks and parties around the season. Beyond Carrey’s hilarious depiction, the moral of being kind and helping those around you at Christmas is sure to melt any seasonal Grinch’s heart. 

Elf 

This film annoys my parents every year, but it brings me so much joy. Buddy the Elf is an icon of Christmas and it wouldn’t be Christmas if it didn’t play on the telly at least once. Even if it does wind my parents up. Will Ferrell and Zoe Deschanel are perfect at spreading Christmas cheer ‘by singing loud for all to hear.’ 

Love Actually

I know that my friends will be surprised to see this is only at number three on my list, but this is my top five. This list could have easily been 10 deep! With a star studded cast of Hugh Grant (need I say more), Emma Thompson, Bill Nighy, Alan Rickman, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth, Kiera Knightly and Martin Freeman to name just a few, you will be transported to a world where love is all around. This is a good one to watch when you’re feeling that you’re losing that Christmas spirit… or you want to cry with Emma Thompson… or you just want to look at Hugh Grant in a suit dancing in Number 10. 

White Christmas

A true Christmas classic, White Christmas is a relatively new entry to my list of favourite films to watch. I found this film during lockdown and watched it with my parents on Christmas Eve, a time where we would usually be with our family celebrating Christmas Eve with my Polish side of the family. This is one of my favourite parts of the festive celebration as it makes me feel so close with my family and I was so upset to miss it with Covid. This film however filled the hole in my heart and made me feel so festive and excited for the 25th. If you’re in need of one to watch with any older family member, put this on and I’m sure you’ll be equally in love with the costumes, music and heartwarming storyline. 

And at number 1… 

The Holiday

Jude Law + glasses. Do I even need to say anything else?! No, but I will. This film is perfect for those who are heartbroken at Christmas, and those who just love a good rom com. I have already watched it twice this year… within a week of each other! That’s how much I love it. The heartwarming colliding stories of strangers who become partners and friends is just what you need at Christmas. It warms your heart and who knows, maybe I’ll bump into my very own Graham (aka Jude Law IN GLASSES) when I go grab some mince pies… probably not but a girls gotta dream. 

Sophie is in her final year at the University of Exeter. She is the President, Editor in Chief, Social Secretary and Campus Correspondent for the Exeter Chapter of Her Campus (2021 - 2023). Sophie would love to work in the media, specifically marketing, when she graduates because of her love for reading and editing... in fact as you read this she is probably wishing that she was lying by a pool with a good book and an iced coffee!