Katie Hopkins: Rent-a-Gob

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If there’s one person that’s had the nation talking recently, uniting the country in blind rage, its Katie Hopkins. In case you’ve missed her various appearances on breakfast talk shows, evening discussion panels and the many, many viral videos circulating social media, this is a brief bio of the ‘Rent-a-Gob’ herself.

Katie Hopkins was born in Barnstaple, Devon in 1975 and went on to attend *cringe* the University of Exeter. Katie claims she has always had great aspirations for herself and in 2007, she appeared on the third series of the reality show The Apprentice. Katie didn’t go on to win the programme, but sparked the media and the public’s attention with her outspoken opinions. Since her appearance on the show, Hopkins seemed determined to prove herself as a businesswoman establishing ‘Katie Hopkins Limited’ … which has run at a net profit loss since 2009.

Despite her many claims that she is a legitimate businesswoman, Katie Hopkins’ true passion seems to be television. By which I mean, getting her face on the television as much as she possibly can. She appeared on the ITV series I’m a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here! in 2007 where she was the second to be voted out. Following this stint on her second reality show, Hopkins has gone on to appear in a wide number of panel shows, labelling herself as a social commentator. Yet the social commentary Hopkins provides seems to have only one purpose: to be as controversial and shocking as possible. Some of her most divisive comments include:

·         ‘Robyn, where have you been?”Answer’s in the question miss’

·         Ginger babies. Like a baby. Just so much harder to love.

·         Would I employ you if you were obese? No I would not. If you are obese you look lazy.

It’s clear that this woman has said a lot of unpleasant things in her time. The things she says are deeply offensive and truly hurtful to a whole host of people, as no one seems to be free of her scorn. But, and I really hate to say this, I suppose it is working for her. Her vitriolic rants pull in thousands of viewers and more often than not her speeches have gone viral. For each appearance she makes and every word she spits out, Hopkins is paid, and paid well. Is this not a trait of a good businesswoman? Personally, I don’t think anything can excuse Hopkins’ appalling tirades, particularly those against the minorities within our society. If you haven’t come to your own conclusions about the woman in question, then take a look at her in action below:

Photo Credits: themirror; huffingtonpost

Alex is currently a Second year English student and is the 2013/14 Deputy Editor for Current Affairs at Her Campus Exeter. Being very passionate about English and in particular journalism, HerCampus is likely to take over Alex's life. But when she isn't writing, blogging or helping the HerCampus Exeter team in whatever way she can, Alex enjoys playing guitar and singing; hopefully well! She is also interested in musical theatre and can often be found humming show tunes absentmindedly. Alex hopes HerCampus will be one of her first steps in a career towards journalism.