Jimmy Savile: Saint or Sinner?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Sir Jimmy Savile, one of Britain’s most celebrated television personalities, died nearly a year ago on the 29th October 2011. As the anniversary of his death approaches it would seem appropriate that his tireless charity work and media contributions are not only remembered, but honoured. However, his golden legacy has recently been tarnished by the allegations that he was a sexual predator and child abuser. In an ironic turn of events it is television, the medium that turned him into a national treasure, that has ruined his reputation after the broadcasting of ‘Exposure: The Other Side of Jimmy Savile’ by ITV.

During his lifetime Sir Jimmy Savile, often described as a philanthropist, raised an estimated £40 million for charity. In 1971 he was awarded an OBE and subsequently knighted in 1990 for his outstanding contributions to charity. It was not, however, his charitable work which catapulted Savile into the limelight and transformed him into a household name, but his work as a television presenter. He was the first presenter on the hugely popular show ‘Top of the Pops’. Along with TOTP, his shows ‘Clunk, Click’ and in particular ‘Jim’ll Fix It’ were hugely successful. At the height of his fame during the 1960s and 1970s Savile was a powerful celebrity and no one had a bad word to say about him. More importantly, no one would accept a bad word against him.

ITV’s recent documentary has brought to light allegations that Savile sexually abused underage girls in his dressing room at the BBC studios in London and also at Duncroft school for girls in Surrey. Disturbingly, these allegations do not come as a surprise and there had been speculation and rumours surrounding Savile’s behaviour with young girls for many years. This begs the question; why did nobody speak up whilst he was still alive and punishable, if proven guilty? The answer is undoubtedly complex but his celebrity status must play an influential part.

When asked why they did not speak up before, many of his alleged victims claimed that they did not feel they could due to his celebrity status. In the documentary, Savile is described as a “Mythical figure… Who was above criticism”. He was a glorified public personality and his endless charity work only furthered his image as a saint-like man. Consequently, people who did hear the rumours chose to close their ears to them as no one dared to speak out against him. A former pupil, Charlotte, of Duncroft School, claims that Savile touched her inappropriately on school grounds. Furthermore, she was severely reprimanded for speaking out against him and forced to withdraw her accusations by the school, an institution with responsibility over her welfare. What this alarmingly highlights is that the adults who had the power to protect vulnerable young girls fell for the deceptive persona Savile had created.

In the 21st century the culture of celebrity is ever increasing. With the arrival of Twitter and Facebook many people mistakenly feel that they have a relationship, albeit a cyber one, with the celebrity. The recent allegations against Savile show the potentially dangerous side of stardom and celebrity. Fame builds people up into untouchable god-like characters. As a consequence they are very difficult to criticise, as not many people are brave enough to be the one of thousands to stand out and tarnish a much-adored public figure. The celebrity culture may seem a trivial matter but how well do we really know these celebrities? As the documentary on Savile has shown: we do not. It raises the question of how many others like him are out there?

Whether or not Savile did commit the crimes that have been put against his name will remain a mystery, given that he is unable to give his side of the story. However, this does not mean it is a scandal to be brushed aside. An important lesson should be learnt from it; that the adults who had the power to protect these young and vulnerable children should not have put the reputation of a star before the child’s welfare. At the end of the day, celebrity or not, they are still human and being famous does not exempt them from the law and basic moral obligations. As the cult of celebrity flourishes lets hope that the potentially dangerous and deceptive side of it diminishes.

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.