This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

At uni the pressure to fall blissfully in love is incredibly high. Constantly being surrounded by couples holding hands and kissing in the smoking area of Mosaic is painful when you are single. But the fact is, you don’t have to be in love to be happy! You’re only young once and now is the time to be happy and free.

If you don’t love yourself, you won’t be able to love someone else. Being in a relationship requires putting your trust in someone and being vulnerable. You have to believe you are the bees knees and that anyone who is with you is a lucky guy. If you are wondering why he is with you, you’ll end up constantly needing reassurance which is exhausting and no one wants to be that clingy girl attached to their boyfriend like a leech. 

If you think other girls are better than you, the green eyed monster will make an appearance. Jealousy is a horrible but inevitable feeling – learning how to overcome it is an important part of growing up. Remember: if he didn’t want to be with you, he wouldn’t be. And if he didn’t want to be with you, then he’d be an idiot because you are a sassy, awesome and beautiful individual.

There will be days when you feel horribly single, surrounded by your housemates cuddling their baes on the sofa. But there are so many pros to being single, like trying new hobbies, going to new places and meeting new people. You can fall in love with something new everyday.

If you rush into a relationship without being self-confident, it will end badly because you won’t be emotionally ready to deal with someone else’s needs as well as your own. Yes, you deserve to have somebody fall in love with you – but it’s more important that you fall in love with yourself. Your relationship with yourself is the one that will last for your whole life, so make sure it’s a good one!