Iconic Mother-Daughter Relationships on Screen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With Mother’s Day 2023 incoming (literally this Sunday!), I thought it would be a good time to reflect on some of the most iconic mother and daughter relationships out there… on screen! Why not celebrate with your own mum by grabbing a bottle of wine, pizzas and popcorn, and watching some of these classic duos up on the big screen? It would definitely be a Mother’s Day to remember.

Moria and Alexis Rose – Schitt’s Creek 

I’ve recently just finished watching Schitt’s Creek for the second time and it never fails to disappoint. What struck me this time round was the relationship between Moria and Alexis. We watch them grow from having a detached mother-daughter bond to one of love, celebration and relatable sarcasm. Whilst both embark on their own journeys throughout the series, it was heartwarming to see them come together, even working together by the end. You can’t help but feel a little bit sorry for David and Johnny when these two come together with their quick wit, a love of drama and the ability to over-exaggerate. 

Donna and Sophie – Mamma Mia 

A classic and one of my favourite mother-daughter duos on the big screen. The love between these two characters really represents the bonds that grow within single-parent families. Together from day one, their sense of connection is visceral and the love they hold for each other is clear. In the first film, it’s the scene and rendition of ‘Slipping Through My Fingers’ which gets me every time. Donna helping prepare Sophie for her wedding day – a moment I’m sure a lot of us women out there have thought about. In contrast, I am sure there wasn’t a dry eye when we all watched Donna’s ghost walk Sophie down the aisle when she christened her baby in Mamma Mia 2. These two are really connected by their souls, even when apart, making their bond just so special. 

Morticia and Wednesday ADDAMS – Wednesday

They’re creepy and they’re kooky, mysterious and spooky… Morticia and Wednesday Addams. Iconic. If you’re a lover of The Addams Family, then I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. There is something so disturbingly brilliant about this mother-daughter combo. I’ve been an avid lover of this family since I was younger but it wasn’t until the hit Netflix show Wednesday until I really saw both their characters shine together. Played by the brilliant duo of Catherine Zeta Jones and Jenna Ortega, it is clear to see that while they believe themselves to be miles apart, they are definitely mother and daughter. Wednesday’s determined to push Morticia away, only to lead a similar life to her mother’s at Nevermore. This makes it clear that there is an unbreakable bond between these two. Not only this, but their parallel fashion immediately gives their relationship away! 

Regina and Mrs George – Mean Girls

I have to be honest, this wasn’t a combination that came straight to my mind, but I think it’s clear when you watch Mean Girls that there is definitely something about their relationship which does melt the heart (despite how awful and mean Regina is to everyone else!) For those who have seen the film, I think the key scene this is represented in is the Christmas talent show. The way Mrs George pushes everyone out of the way to film and choreograph their performance. illustrates a mum who really does care and oozes pride for her daughter. Don’t get me wrong, I think anyone would be slightly embarrassed by it, but if that’s her way of showing her love, why not! 

Kris & the Kardashian Sisters – Keeping Up With the Kardashians 

Even though they are a real life family, the dynamic between Kris and her daughters is plastered all over Instagram and a key element of their many shows and spinoffs. Who can forget Kris telling Kim off for taking selfies when Khloe was on her way to court? ICONIC. But in all seriousness, the bond between Kris and her daughters is heart-warming. She is their number one champion, always behind them or on the phone to them in moments of crisis. It’s also clear just how much Kris means to her daughters. The way they celebrate events like Mother’s Day as a family is just so sweet. There is a real emphasis placed on gratitude and love. Even though it’s at times unconventional or dramatic, when it comes to mothers and daughters the deep bond is really on display here. 

Megan Barber

Exeter '23

22 years old studying History. You can find me eating, reading or planning my next adventure...