How to Survive the Exeter Uni Ski Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The time of year has come again when those who aren’t swamped by dissertation writing and exam revision (or who are and are either well-prepared or have a YOLO attitude) head somewhere snowy for the annual Exeter Uni ski trip. This year, the slopes of Val Thorens will be descended upon by hundreds of University students seeking to live it up in the snow. HCX brings you a guide to making sure you have fun and stay safe during this infamous week.

Bored and extremely jealous of seeing your mates’ at Leeds photos all over Facebook while you’re still writing your essays, fighting tooth and nail for a spot in the library? We are too. Repeatedly described by previous trip-goers as “The best week of my life”, and with one friend who keeps welling up with tears of excitement at the thought of being back on a Folie Douce table, you can’t go wrong with the ski trip. But here are a few tips on how to go particularly right.

1.     Fancy dress

If you’re going on the trip you should be well aware by now that fancy dress is a pre-requisite. First rule of fancy dress: splurge. It’s an investment. Because your new cover photo dressed as a fried egg is the epitome of the MasterCard ad’s timeless message. Priceless.

2.     Pack British Booze and Food

Save money and energy: buy British before you go. Remember that skiing student style is a helluva lot different from skiing with the family. Chateau briand, deep, oaky red wines and chocolate fondue aren’t likely.* Packed lunches and flasks are most definitely The One.

3.     Pill Pop

Only the ones from Boots and only ones sold over the counter. But whether it’s a sleeping pill for the 16-hour coach journey to France or a daily dose of vitamin C, it will be worth it. One friend swears by milk thistle – apparantly she takes one before bed for an almost instantaneous hangover cure. Be forewarned if you don’t take any kind of supplements (and I’m not a big one for pill popping so these are the facts that tip the balance): you’ll lose your voice on day 3, fall asleep standing up on day 5 and be ill, bed-bound and irritable for the week following your return.

4.     Helmet

I can’t resist this bit of advice to keep the article quite literal on how to survive the Uni ski trip. Every year there’s an article in the news on a student who died on a ski trip and bizarrely enough, it’s often because they’ve been drinking and would you believe, they weren’t wearing a helmet. If you actually think about what skiing is (strapping two bits of wood to your feet and hurling down mountains at high speeds), and then think about what Uni skiing is (previous description + alcohol), it’s worth wearing something to protect at the very least, your head. Whether you skied out of your mother’s womb and onto the slopes or this is your first time skiing, you won’t care about hat hair if you’re dead. Jenson Button wears a seat belt. Another of our articles looks at the facts about helmet wearing here.

5.     Condoms

Whether they’re for you or you’re being a conscientious friend, condoms are a key practical item to add to your suitcase. You may be planning a PG-rated ski trip or you may be planning to go back with a boy (or two, we won’t judge). But as one friend who was forced to mime out “morning after pill” (resorting to “J’ai avec un garcon” in piecemeal French) found out, things may not go as planned on the ski trip. Packing condoms doesn’t automatically make you sexually promiscuous, it makes you responsible. And it makes sure that whatever might happen at Folie stays at Folie…

6.     Ear plugs

Whatever you decide to do on the ski trip, one, two, three or four of your roommates will very possibly/probably give you a good reason to want a pair of these in your wash bag for reasons given above.

Extras to Pack

Speakers

Sun cream (Facebook stalk former ski trip photos if you need to be persuaded on this one).

Camera – to capture the memories, to capture the moments…

If you’re not going on this year’s trip, read HCX’s article on ‘The Best Week of Your Life’ to make sure you don’t repeat your mistake next year!

*If you’re thinking they are, reassess your life.

Photocredits: familyskinews.com; tripadvisor.com; bonjourlechallenge.com