Home Sweet Home-From-Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I think it’s safe to say that with all of the charming Devon weather we’ve been enjoying recently, most of us are trying to stay home and dry as often as possible. The thing is, as much as we try to make our uni home-from-homes as cosy as we can on a student budget, nothing quite matches up to the snuggly comfort of being at home-home. Also, with the flooding affecting transport to… well, pretty much everywhere, getting home to experience the real deal is trickier than ever. That being said, there are lots of little ways to recreate home comforts whilst you’re here in Exeter and kick those homesick niggles straight to the curb. 

1.      I miss… having a decent Sunday roast

Nothing quite beats the sheer joy of your Mum’s classic Sunday roast – I mean, how does she achieve such perfect roast potatoes?! That said, uni is the perfect time to experiment with cooking one of your own. Your housemates will be thrilled with the offer of a free meal and it’s a really nice chance to get everyone together especially if you live in a particularly busy household. Cooking a roast is more about getting your timings right, so make sure you write a list of what needs doing when and enlist some helpers to boss around the kitchen. (Check out HCX’s Perfect Sunday article here for a step-by-step guide). Also, asking her advice is the perfect excuse to give Mum (or even Gran) a call – and prove to your family that you’re not just living off of beans on toast.

For those of you that burn cereal, it might be worth taking a Sunday stroll down to Double Locks instead (their roasts are incredible for if you have a spare £12 knocking around) or even Firehouse if you’re looking for a slightly closer and cheaper alternative.

[pagebreak]

2.      I miss… good food –

This is the moan most frequently heard from students who have just come back to uni from a lovely trip home and realised that the only thing awaiting them in the fridge is some slightly mouldy cheese and a lonely-looking carrot.  If you’re lusting after something that isn’t part of the “M Savers” range but won’t cost you the earth, there are certain little tips and tricks that can come in handy. Timing your shopping trip for when Waitrose or M&S are closing means that you can often scout out some incredible reductions – even if it’s just a posh sandwich for tomorrow’s on-campus lunch. Also, shopping at the butcher and greengrocers can be cheaper than the supermarket and much better quality. Try the ones on Sidwell Street – the staff are always cheery, and in the grocers you get entered into a raffle to win a hamper of fresh fruit and veg.  

3.      I miss… my cat/dog/fish/sea monkey –

It’s never fun to be away from the ones we care about – especially if they happen to be the cutest little furry bundles of love in the whole wide world. If you’re craving a cuddle with your cat or the classic “Let me talk to the dog” on Skype isn’t quite doing it for you, how about a trip to the zoo? Paignton Zoo is only about an hour away by bus/train and is a great chance to get away from Exeter for the day. If you’re pushed for time or money (or are just lonely to the point of desperation), the pet shop on Sidwell Street is home to a rather chatty parrot. 

4.      I miss…feeling my toes –

Being warm is one of those things that when you’re at home you don’t even have to think about… but you really do when you’re living in a drafty student house. Do not underestimate the power of a decent blanket and a hot-water bottle. The latter is so cheap it’s ridiculous, and makes climbing into bed at night a wonderfully cosy experience. Try House of Fraser, Debenhams or John Lewis for one that’s not only practical but oh-so-pretty. This one from Tesco is only £3! 

Otherwise, try warming yourself with the power of the placebo effect: the BBC’s virtual fire will keep you thinking toasty thoughts. 

[pagebreak]

5.      I miss… my Grandparents –

This one can be a toughie even when you’re at home, especially if your grandparents live far away. If you’re feeling in the need for some “when I was your age” nostalgia and are also looking for your next good deed, try getting in touch with Community Action. CA run several community outreach programmes like Switch, in which student volunteers get to chat to and learn from the lovely residents at a local care home. Another option is to teach your grandparents about Skype. It’s a great chance for some family bonding – and besides, nothing beats having a nice catch-up with Nana’s forehead whilst Poppa attempts to “twiddle with the volume”.  

6.      I miss… my Mum –

There are times in life when a girl just needs her Mum and Skype dates, calls and texts don’t quite fill the gap. If you can’t dedicate the time and funds to going all the way home, how about suggesting that you meet in the middle? If you’re a Londoner, for example, Bristol and Bath make for good meeting places – and are beautiful cities to visit too! Even better: go one step further and plan an early-Mothers Day spa weekend. Mum will jump at the chance to see her favourite child and to have some well-deserved R&R.

The other way to get some daily parental face time comes with a fairly high degree of risk: Snapchat. My housemate’s mum has it and it’s a really fun way for them to keep in touch (with little to no effort). Even if you’re just sending her silly selfies, she’ll know you’re alive and well – just make sure your phone stays safely out of the grasp of your oh-so-funny male housemates. 

HCX hopes this helps stem the mid-term blues a little bit – and just think – you’ll be snuggled up on the sofa with your Mum for the Easter holidays before you know it!

Photo Credits: pinterest.com

Francesca is a 3rd-year English student with a passion for fashion, travel and all-things theatre-related. After graduating this summer (fingers crossed), Francesca hopes to spend some time working and adventuring whilst figuring out what to do next. She loves going for coffee with friends, hosting dinner parties and spending hours mentally decorating her dream home on Pinterest.