Her Top 5 Little Luxuries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Students are notoriously tight-fisted when it comes to spending – and rightly so! With Exeter’s rent prices swallowing up most of our loans we are entitled to stick to Tesco’s value range rather than enjoying the delights of the Waitrose bakery. However, there are a few items that are simply non-negotiable on quality, listed below, which might change your mind on always being a savvy student and inspire you to invest in some home comforts:

1. Good hair care

For us girls, there is nothing nicer than that just-left-the-salon feeling of luscious locks. Using Boots own “tea-tree” shampoo, I was more reminded of the distinct smell of Mr. Muscle than the fresh aroma I was promised. After using it a couple of times I couldn’t help but think that my hair might have had more of “that salon feeling” if I had, in fact, used Mr. Muscle. Splash out a little to enjoy the sensuous “yes yes yes!” moments your hair deserves.

2. Branded vodka

With the amount of alcohol an Exeter student can get through, we all want a good bargain. However, there has been a recent upsurge of counterfeit vodka production so my advice is to watch out – if the price looks too good to be true, it probably is. Fake vodka can contain dangerously high levels of methanol which can lead to temporary blindness and in some more serious cases, death. If you’re looking to have a good time, it really is worth going for the well-known brands just so you know what you’re actually drinking.

3. A good umbrella

Whilst it is endlessly amusing to watch students punching their umbrellas into the air in a desperate attempt to get them the right way around, I simply have to recommend spending a little more on a good umbrella. Whilst Devon is a summer holiday destination, us hardened students know it better for its blustery, rainy and all-round depressing days. So equipping yourself with a tough umbrella is quite simply essential if you want to make it through the day!

4. Baking ingredients

As a British girl through and through, I really do believe there’s nothing better than a good tea party. Keep your dirty beats, I’m happy with my Tetley’s and brownies. Coming to university made me realise how well stocked the baking cupboard at home is and how baking is actually quite an expensive hobby. That said, baking is a social and relaxing thing to do and the end products are your sure-fire way to becoming the most popular girl in the room. Stock up on flour, sugar and all the essentials and check out Sophie Dahl and Nigella’s websites for some scrumptious recipes.

5. A car

Now this one might be stretching the term “little luxury” but it really is a great thing to have (or have access to) in Exeter. For second and third years, one car per household can be very useful when it comes to the weekly shop and it’s relatively cheap to maintain if everyone chips in for petrol from time to time. Having a car means you can really take advantage of Exeter’s great location, with stunning beaches only a 20 minute drive away and attractions like Paignton Zoo!

It really is worth spending those extra few pounds on these items… Whether you end up with healthier hair to whip back and forth on the d-floor, more dignity when striding to your 9am in the pouring rain, or even just a less-severe hangover on the journey, you really will notice the difference!

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.