Health vs. Vanity: What’s Your Motivation?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Every health-conscious girl has diet and exercise on their mind on a day-to-day basis: calories, nutrition, toning and fitness – being aware of these is no bad thing and can benefit your body and your mind to no end. It is important, however, that the focus on these aspects of physical health remain within reason: if it begins to take over, this is when being conscious about health can become unhealthy.

A question worth asking yourself is: what is your motivation for making the choices you make? Did you go to the gym this morning because you want to get fitter and healthier, or because you want to lose that tummy fat? Either option is great motivation, and for many it will be a combination of both. But for those whose sole motivation is appearance-related, is this the most rewarding and fulfilling way of viewing your lifestyle?

As Exeter students, it’s no secret that people are sporty; Athletics Union stash is a standard outfit on campus and gym gear is a regular site in the forum. A student arriving at Exeter might feel pressure to follow the crowd, get a gym membership, and join an AU club – which for the most part is great! The social experience of a sports club is a fantastic addition to University life, and being that little bit more toned and athletic is a great confidence boost, as well as benefitting your health. The positives can become less positive if the pressure of being a slim, attractive sports babe becomes the main reason for activity. It can lead to a less healthy life style – in extreme cases over-exercising and under eating. If the only reason for going to the gym is to fit in with the crowd, and improve your appearance, then potential danger can arise.

This week is Mental Heath and Wellbeing week, and the mental implications of peer pressure and body image is an important topic worth discussing. Vanity as motivation is also a difficult one to maintain: a thirty-minute run doesn’t automatically shed the pounds, and it takes perseverance to actually see a difference (not to mention, it’s very difficult to see yourself reaching your goal, our minds are deceiving). When motivation becomes more than vanity, when your personal health and fitness becomes important, that is when you will really benefit from the effort you put in, and turning into an even hotter student than you already are is a great result of that. A fit body should be the happy outcome of all your hard work, not the only reason for doing it in the first place.

So, girls, next time you choose a salad over a pasty, or wake up early for a morning gym session, ask yourself: is it for the fitness, or the looks, or both? Get your healthy lifestyle on track, (physically and mentally) and just watch those attractive athletic boys do a double take as you strut through campus with your newfound confidence.

Picture Credits: www.pinterest.com