HCX Travel: Summer Volunteering Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you are growing tired of the repetitive (but ever so fun) holidays with little more to do than paint your nails, update yourself on the ins and outs of Hollywood, take a dip in the sea, and generally snooze your afternoons away: we have a perfect, adventurous and feel-good solution. 

There are so many amazing organisations across the globe just waiting for you to make the first move and decide to spend your summer doing something worthwhile. Charities, NGOs and volunteer programmes can allow you to combine your travelling desires, with a thoroughly heart-warming and often strenuous, but rewarding, challenge or project to undertake. 

Schemes such as BUNAC’s Volunteer Abroad Program, are designed to make it so easy for you to make connections, find vacancies and spend your holiday/ travels doing something that you believe in and find interesting. The global nature of these projects is incredible and you can undertake programmes from across Africa, Asia and America. 

The volunteer programmes cater for everyone’s talents and expectations. Whether you want to participate in conservation projects for the environment, work on an animal research project, teach English in a school, or simply experience a little of everything, working abroad for a charity is an incredible opportunity.  You can combine volunteering and making a difference to those less fortunate than you, with travelling and visiting tourist destinations and meeting an eclectic array of people from all over the world!

Volunteering abroad and working towards a common united goal is such a fabulous experience and will give purpose to your holiday! You get to experience a new, exciting culture, and meet communities whilst exploring a fabulous new country, much in need of some time and commitment. 

These schemes usually require a minimum of 3 weeks but you can extend your volunteer work to as long as you have to spare! It is so easy to do a little research and find some internationals recognised schemes that aim to provide a positive change and allow you to achieve an extraordinary volunteer experience!

Photo credits: www.bunac.orgwww.crosscontinental.org, http://wp.vcu.edu/abroad