HCX Travel Guide: Top 10 Things to do in Australia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Australia, the land down under: if you are picturing cowbody-esque Hugh Jackman lookalikes to be swinging through saloon doors chugging cans of Fosters, then I am afraid you will be sorely disappointed. However, don’t give up hope; some of the stereotypes are true, for you can expect to find plenty of shrimps on the barbie, countless kangaroos hopping about at the roadside and more blonde surfers than you can shake a boomerang at.

As hard as it was, I have managed to limit the top things to do in Oz down to a list of 10. During my time out there I sadly didn’t make it to the West Coast, so this list only really takes the East Coast and the center into account, but there is enough to do in these areas to keep your hands full for a few months!

1. Get a tan touring the Whitsundays
    The Whitsundays are my happy place that I dream of when I’m stuck in a lecture on Agricultural Land Policy. You typically stay aboard a boat for three days where you dance till sunrise, slide down slides, snorkel or dive the reefs and tour the beautiful islands. Whitehaven Beach in particular is something really special, and the beach is not regenerative, so will only be around for the next 50 years or so.

1. Explore Sydney’s harbor
    Sydney is always mistaken for the capital for some reason; it’s the place to go if you want good restaurants, shops galore to explore and beaches to hop. I found Bondi beach a tad overrated, so for the ultimate ozzie urban-beach experience head over to Sydney’s best kept secret Manly. The Aquarium in Darlington Harbour is also top notch.  

2. Camp on Fraser Island
    Even if you aren’t one for camping, suck it up and head over to Fraser Island for a couple of days. The island is completely made up of sand dunes and lakes, which when you throw a 4WD into the mix makes things a whole heap of fun. Just watch out for the wild dingoes!

3. Chill out at Byron Bay / Nimbin

Byron Bay is the best beachside town to soak up the beachy vibes, surf the waves and party on the beach. Nimbin is possibly the strangest place you will encounter, ever, and is an           absolute must for a day trip if you are in the area. The whole village is dedicated to the legalization of cannabis, so expect conversations ranging from worldly love to philosophical reasoning with the high and happy hippy locals.

[pagebreak]

1. Get arty in Melbourne
    Melbourne is quickly catching up with Sydney and it’s considered the more fashionable of the two these days. Also situated on the coast, St Kilda is the youthful area where bars, clubs and pubs meet lush white sand. Further into the city, you can easily lose yourself in the windy alleys of vibrant street art and cutesy shops in the old-fashioned arcades. 

1. Get happy snappy in The Red Centre
    The great thing about The Red Center is that you don’t have to have a fancy Canon SLR; everybody becomes a photographer pro thanks to the awesome beauty of the place. The red sand, vast canyons, flat never-ending horizons and uluru itself creates a landscape that you’ll never forget. Life is very remote and isolated, so people often opt for a 1-2 week tour rather than tackle it on their own (have you not seen Wolf Creek?!)

1. Blow bubbles in Cairns
    Cairns itself is a party town, where you can paddle in the pool during the day and dance in The Woolshed (a backpackers favorite) till dawn. But the real enchantment of the area lays in the crystal clear waters an hour boat ride away from the shore. The Great Barrier Reef is unquestionably one of the best places in the world to take a diving course, which if you look at online deals in advance can be fairly reasonable. If you aren’t into swimming with nurse sharks 30m underwater then you can still get great day trips for snorkeling, which still gets you access to see the pretty coral and nemos.

2. Yee hawww on a Cattle Station
    There are still many Cattle Stations functioning in the Australian outback, and they give something completely different than you will ever experience if you just stay hanging around the coastlines. Expect hearty meals, a sore bum from horse riding, sitting around the fire with a box of goon (sack wine) and an amazing set of stars.

3. Cruise on the Great Ocean Road
    Everyone loves a good road trip, so take a few days out to see the Apostles (cool rock formations in the sea) and to follow the windy highway that snakes along the coast from Melbourne.

4. Tasmania

Okay so I haven’t actually been here, but I’ve heard such great things about the island off of the south coast of Australia that its one of the places I regret not seeing. Many people spend a few weeks in Tasmania going around in a campervan, and claim you’ll never see such natural beauty.

Top Travel Tip: Don’t ask any Australian local about their opinions on the British monarchy. You’ll get mobbed.

Photo credits

beautiful-place-intheworld.blogspot.com

www.australia.com www.australia.com 
travel.ninemsn.com.au