HCX Travel: Films That DID NOT Inspire Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

There are films that have made us all at one point or another want to pack a bag, leave our lives behind and travel around the world (and maybe find our own Johnny [AKA Patrick Swayze] from Dirty Dancing). However, there are films out there that would make even a well-seasoned traveller pause to consider dubious travel experiences, some lucky escapes and think carefully about their travel plans. Her Campus recalls a couple of films that make us quake in our boots and give us some important lessons.

THE SCARY CHOICES

WARNING: Approach these two with caution – could cause several nightmares and phone calls home…

Hostel – Bratislava, Slovakia

Three backpackers hear about an enchanting and elusive hostel in Eastern Europe where the women are all smoking hot and have a ‘taste’ for American men – sounds like the promised land to them. How wrong could they be?

What Her Campus Learned: When it comes to travelling, do not always believe the hype. You could end up somewhere like this hostel!

The Hills Have Eyes – California, USA

I am not going to say a lot about this film, partly as it may put you all off reading any further, and partly because I do not want to ruin the story for you. What I will say is this; there is a group of psychotic cannibal criminals. Thank god, I have not encountered any of those on my travels!

What Her Campus Learned: Always stick to the main road – no shortcuts through Air Testing ranges.

THE THRILLERS

127 Hours – Utah, USA

This is based on the incredible real life story of mountain climber Aron Ralston. After falling down a crevasse he becomes trapped by a boulder in the isolated Blue John Canyon. He spends five days with only small amount water and no food, becoming delusional and recalling his past. After the fifth day, he decides the only way to escape is to sever his forearm.

What Her Campus Learned: When travelling, alone or in a group, make sure your surroundings are safe and do not act stupidly in order to impress anyone.

Taken – Paris, France

This infamous film synonymous for showing the dubious side to Paris just had to be included. Travelling around Europe with your best friend following your favourite band on their European tour sounds like the time of your life, right?!? Not if you are Kim Mills and get Taken by an Albanian human trafficking ring. She was extremely lucky she had Liam Neeson as a father, I’m not sure we would all have ex-CIA operative fathers with that set of “very specific skills” to come and save us!

Things Her Campus learned: Don’t take taxis with rather hot strangers.

[pagebreak]

THE COMEDIES

Bridget Jones’ Diary: The Edge of Reason – Lech, Austrian Alps, (Vorarlberg) and Thailand

Poor Bridget, both of her holidays in this film could go down on the list for horrible travelling experiences. Her ski holiday is blighted by arguments, paranoia over the potential love rival of Mark’s intern and a pregnancy scare, not to mention the hilariously awkward backwards skiing incident. However, her visit to Thailand makes things even worse after catching her ex with a transgendered Thai prostitute and getting arrested for drug possession.

Things Her Campus Learned: Avoid packing your ‘granny pants’ – security may search your bags.

The Inbetweeners Movie – Malia, Crete

We have all heard the ludicrous and outrageous stories from ‘lads’ holidays’: the drunken shenanigans and times they probably should have kept to themselves. However, the Inbetweeners boys really take the biscuit for managing to constantly find themselves in the centre of trouble. From the awful accommodation, the empty club, the awkward encounters with one of the boy’s ex’s and Simon getting airlifted to hospital, things could not have gone worse for the boys. Yet they still manage to get the girls …

Things Her Campus Learned: Hope that you do not bump into you recently ex-partner. It will be awkward, and you will not want to see them with someone else.

THE CLASSICS

Psycho – Arizona, USA

Norman Bates, a name that has become legend after the 1960 Hitchcock classic. At the time the film caused extreme controversy with condemnation from churches and psychiatrists, due to the shocking nature of the film (imagine what they would have said about The Human Centipede!) Things could not have got worse for Marian Crane. On the run from the police after stealing $40,000 from the realtor’s office where she works, she embarks on a road trip.  She ends up at a secluded motel and is murdered by the motel’s unhinged owner-manager, Norman Bates. Talk about a bad road trip … (Heads up: the new TV series Bates Hotel is the prequel story!)

Things Her Campus Learned: Never ever stay in a ‘remote lodging’. It never ends well. Thank god we can check reviews for hotels online.

THE TROPICAL CHOICE

Brokedown Palace – Thailand

Two best friends decide to go on a spur of the moment, wild trip to Thailand after graduating. Everything seems to being going amazingly for Alice and Darlene, especially after meeting Nick. The Australian traveller even treats them to a day trip around Hong Kong. However, these times are short lived after they are arrested due to the large amount of heroin in their bags, drugs placed there by Nick. After they are arrested and forced to confess, they are sentenced to 33 years in jail – only after they have begged for their lives.

Things Her Campus Learned: Always check your bags before you leave the hotel. We also seem to notice that it always seemed to be the mysterious stranger that causes trouble.

Photo and Video Credits: BlogSpot, Youtube. 

Shannon is a first year law LLB student. When she is not buried in a mountain of law books, she spends her time indulging her keen passions for travel, films and blogging.