HCX Hotel of the Week: The Ice Hotel, Sweden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The spellbinding Ice Hotel offers guests the opportunity for a holiday like no other. In the Swedish village of Jukkastarui, this hotel is remarkably made entirely of ice. Rebuilt every year in a completely new style, the Ice Hotel is open this winter for it’s twenty-fifth year.

From December to April each year, the Ice Hotel and accompanying ice chapel are open to guests. Throughout the hotel, ice sculptures adorn the walls and bedrooms. In these rooms, all the furniture is constructed from ice. Don’t worry though; you will get thick fur rugs to keep you warm. The ice bar is the perfect way to spend an evening that you will never forget.  Even the glasses in the bar are ice sculpted!

If the -5 degree temperature of this hotel doesn’t sound like your ideal night, you can stay in warm accommodation in the grounds. With this, you can still experience the phenomenal ice bar, but have more of a snug night.

There is a wealth of activities available for guests of the Ice Hotel. One highlight is the opportunity to see the Northern Lights. A number of excursions are available with which to do this. The hotel operates horseback tours, dog-sledging trips and snowmobile tours. Frequent musical performances in the ice bar, extreme winter driving sessions, Sami cultural experiences and ice sculpting classes ensure that you stay will be jam-packed with exciting activities!

The extraordinary Ice Hotel offers an unrivaled experience for all of its visitors. The fact that the hotel is constructed in a completely new design each year even gives you an excuse to keep going back!

Photo Credits

WorldAllDetails

ImagineLifestyles: Luxury Rentals

Thebeststay

Exodus

Hi, I'm Emily! I study history at Exeter university and have just started writing travel articles for her campus. :)