HCX Campus Celebrity: Sam Jackson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week we had a chat with second year Philosophy student Sam Jackson. In his first year Sam climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in aid of Hope for Children, and he is going back this summer as a team leader. Sam had also been the bass player in the successful rock band Fight the Dice for over four years.  

How did you become involved with climbing Kilimanjaro last year?

It started when I got sniped by somebody flyering in Freshers’ Week, and then attended the information evening and it sounded amazing so I decided to go for it. At the time I didn’t really realise what I was signing up to and I didn’t realise it was going to go this far.

What was the biggest challenge about Kilimanjaro?

The fundraising because people don’t take you seriously at first and it’s a lot of money to raise. It’s terrifying when you first start out because you don’t think you’ll ever be able to do it until you’ve got a few hundred quid under your belt.

How are you finding being a RAG challenge leader?

I absolutely love it. I have the experience of having done the challenge before so I know what goes down and how it works. My team are one of the best parts – they’re so good and so easy to manage which makes my job much easier.

What would you say to people interested in RAG or RAG challenges?

Do it. Take the plunge because it is so worth it. Even if you took out the charity aspect it would be worth doing. Next year we’re looking at doing Everest Base Camp. But because the charities are so worthwhile makes it even better.

What’s your favourite thing about being in a band?

The recording studio – I love it because you get to sit there with your mates for a week and lay down music that you’ve been writing and practicing for months. It’s such a good laugh and our producer is a tank.

How’s the future looking for your band?

It’s good. We’ve got half a recorded EP, and we’re going to be doing another one soon. We’re having some downtime at the moment while we’re at university, but in the summer we’re booked in for a load of festivals and we’ll be finishing our recording.

What’s your favourite thing about Exeter?

I really like the forum and the guild are really cute to work with. I also can’t get enough of the jam sandwiches at the Lemmy!

If you want to know more about RAG challenges or sponsor Sam head over to his sponsorship page at https://2015exeter.everydayhero.com/uk/sammyclimbskili

You can also check out his band at http://www.fightthedice.co.uk

I am a fourth year student reading for a degree in English with History and Middle Eastern Studies. When I'm not busy writing essays, I love fleeing campus and exploring anywhere and everywhere. My favourite place in the world (other than Exeter, of course) is Iquitos in South America.