HCX Campus Celebrity: Emily Holyoake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

HCX were thrilled to be approached by Emily Holyoake, Exeter alumni, who has gone on to set up her very own theatre company along with fellow Exeter grads! We caught up with her to talk about her new play ‘Real Person Fiction’ which will be showing at the Phoenix!

We are currently all applying for jobs and beginning to get panicked and so are trying to help everyone get ideas about their careers! Did you write plays whilst at Uni or was this a later talent?

I studied Drama at Exeter, as Exeter so it’s always something I’ve done but the idea to make a career out of it was a later revelation!

When did you set up ‘Living Robot’ theatre company?

Very recently, I knew Harry (Kinscott, the director and fellow Exeter alum) through my boyfriend and friends at home. We both had similar visions and so it made sense to pair up!

‘Real Person Fiction’ focuses around social media. Where did this idea come from?

I’ve always had an interest in social medi and wanted to do a play that showed that. All my writing has focused around this theme. ‘Real Person Fiction’ is slightly different as it is a conversation about an online community whereas previously the script has been based on the online dialogue. When I first started following this idea, it was pretty novel but it’s come much more to the forefront in recent years.

We’ve heard that for the play you set up the #girlsontheinternetproject. Can you explain a little bit about what this is?

Absolutely. Basically because the set is so intimate and is really a dialogue between two people we wanted to add another dimension. We set up the hastag to encourage people to record something about their experience with social media and we will then play this as the audience come in. be

Has it been successful?

We’ve been amazed by the response! We’ve had answers coming in from all over the world which gives a fantastically different dimension with all the accents playing off each other.

We are very excited to hear you have a production coming up in London. Congratulations! Is that where you’re headed or do you think you will stay around Exeter?

For now the plan is to stay in Exeter, at least until the summer when we will hopefully have another production under way. After that… who knows!?

Thanks so much for talking to us! And we look forward to coming to see the play!!

‘Real Person Fiction’ is showing at the Exeter Phoenix on the 2nd, 3rd and 5th December so head along and support Exeter alumni!

You never know, in a few years it could be you!