Fresher’s Week: Best Week of Your Life?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The hype and excitement surrounding Fresher’s Week is something we are all familiar with. For months before we arrive at University, the prospect of a week of meeting new people, partying in as many clubs as possible and bonding over tales from the night before are all very much expected from all First Years. But, is meeting your closest friends for life in the first twenty minutes and enjoying moderate intoxication practically all week a reality? Is Fresher’s Week really the best time of your life? Whilst for some it is everything they hoped it would be, for many or rather most, it is pretty intimidating, nerve wracking and a massive learning experience. Through interviewing just a few students, it is clear that there is no typical experience of the week, meaning that Fresher’s Week may not be as you expected and it can certainly be catered to you.   

Fresher #1: The party animal. For some, the crazy Fresher’s Week experience is very much a reality and option.  One Exeter student said: “Fresher’s week was so much fun! I went out every night! There was quite a lot of drinking games and hopping from club to club- the hangover was worth it though.”  Clearly for some, this lifestyle is something to be thoroughly enjoyed. Almost all of Exeter’s bars and clubs will have unique Fresher’s Week nights designed for First Years so that new students can mingle and enjoy the nightlife on offer with drinks deals and guest DJs expected. But this student also emphasised that this option was very much a choice: “One thing that did surprise me was that people didn’t pressure you into things. Going out really hard wasn’t the only option, and lots of people seemed to be having fun doing other things or going home a little earlier. I never felt pressured to drink at all”. There seems to be a common misconception that drinking alcohol is a central“If you start acting like someone you’re not, you won’t meet the right sorts of people for you”. If you love the idea of lots of partying, it is certainly on the cards but is by no means the only option and not the central part of starting University.

[pagebreak]

Fresher #2: The indulger of new things. Perhaps clubbing isn’t exactly your scene, but some students really enjoyed the week without indulging in the usual antics and activities assumed of many First Years. One student commented on how it’s a great chance to make a most of something entirely new, “It was fun and unique. No one knows each other so everyone is in the same boat. You meet lots of people all the time. New experiences are a big part of it, and its best to make the most of everything”. Exeter offers hundreds of taster sessions for sports, music groups, religious societies, academic clubs and so many more; you can even relax with a ‘free cake’ table or yoga session. Your days can be filled partaking in your favourite hobbies or trying something new where you are bound to meet new people. The evenings can be filled with pub quizzes or maybe just a quiet night with a takeaway pizza with some new friends. Remember everyone has come from somewhere different with different points of view so there certainly will be an option suited to you.

[pagebreak]

Fresher #3: Overwhelmed and anxious. Moving to a new town, seeing an abundance of new faces, and living in a little room, (what happened to a house?!) can be a very intimidating experience for many students, and understandably. “I remember going everywhere with a pack of cocktail sausages as a ‘be my friend’ incentive, getting lost on campus and being aware that my next door neighbour appeared to be the hairiest man on Earth. I was basically terrified and trying to convince myself I was having the time of my life”, another Exeter University student told us. Indeed being scared but trying to feel like the week is fantastic seems to be the most common view amongst students. “It seems a little overrated. Most people are quite nervous. I had a good time but it wasn’t the best week of my life; I met my best friends a month or so in”. Our Exeter student emphasised the fact that your experience does not depend on who you meet or what you do in the first week. “Some people meet their best friends on day one (which is fantastic,) and others are constantly skyping their friends from home, but eventually you will meet good people and settle in nicely.”It is also important to remember that if you are feeling a little overwhelmed there is lots of help and advice on offer, particuarly the Welcome Week team who will be very clear in bright pink t-shirts. They will be there to meet and greet students, will be in town all night, and at all University events. They are pretty unavoidable and are friendly faces always willing to talk. 

Students we interviewed offered lots of advice, but generally the theme was as follows: be open to meeting new people and doing new things. “Don’t limit yourself to one group of people in the first week, make sure you give everyone a chance. If you aren’t having an absolutely incredible time at first, don’t worry because you will once you’ve met the right people which will definitely happen.”

Some people will be coming to Exeter from thousands of miles away; some will be younger than others; some may have had a recent tragedy or be a school leaver, mature student; whilst some will be from a wealthy background others will be less well-off- just remember everyone is in the same boat as you in experiencing something entirely new; just try to embrace everything and remember to be yourself. Leaving your door open on the first few days is a great way to show that you’re open to meeting others. Fresher’s Week is just the start of an experience likely to be one of the best of your life; the real fun of University is certainly yet to come!  

Image Credits: humanities.exeter.ac.uk, exeter.ac.uk, university.which.co.uk