Freshers’ Flings: Fun or Foolish?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s your first term at university; the boys, nights out and alcohol are ever so tempting and, hey, why not? You are only a fresher once, so might as well make the most of it before you become a second year and have to actually do some work. A fresher’s fling seems harmless, a laugh and a great story on social nights. Yet is this ‘meaningful’ hook-up a fun pastime or foolish mistake? It is ultimately up to you to decide, but HCX thought we’d help you out by sharing some of our thoughts on this scandalous matter!

Everyone loves a good girly night out in Timepiece or Monday night Mosaic. The thought of dancing the night away with a gorgeous guy, having a drink with him and seeing where the night takes you seems to be a risk-free high passion pastime. At the time it seems like a ton of fun and since it is only term one surely you should be ‘meeting’ as many people as possible, even if it is on the dance floor of Rococo’s. However, as many of you probably know more often than not these flirty nights often have disastrously cringe endings that make you want to hang your head in embarrassment. A friend of HCX knows this feeling only too well admitting that a guy she had gotten on famously with on a night out, happened to be in her first tutorial looking much less handsome than she remembered! If she wanted to forget about their night of passion she wouldn’t be able too, as every week there he is as a constant reminder of her beer goggle fiasco. Another friend recalls the moment the 5am fire alarm meant she introduced her new found hotty, (wearing last night’s rugby suit and tie) to her bemused flat mates much earlier than she was expecting, setting her up for a life time of naughty jests.

However, not all flirty flings lead to a walk of shame, some may in fact lead to the stride of pride! Who knows, that cheeky fling could result in your meeting the man of your dreams– well at least the man of your dreams right now! If not, well then it will definitely be an experience, providing you with a great story to tell! After all, university is meant to be a learning experience so why not get out of your comfort zone and go and have some fun?! This doesn’t necessarily mean jumping into bed with every boy you meet! HCX does not want you gaining an unwanted reputation! But, if a guy does takes your fancy…go for it, what do you have to lose after all!

There is definitely a taboo about freshers flings with many divided on whether they are fun or foolish? Ultimately it is up to you however here at HCX we believe that fresher’s flings can be fun and foolish so make the most of your experience-just try not to make it onto Exeter’s Confessions!!!

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.