Fitness Freak: One Budding Freak Shares Her Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s inevitable that at this time of year, we are bombarded with advice from celeb fitness freaks on how to be just like them. Such advice can be fabulous, yet anything but realistic for a busy collegiette! Sometimes it’s equally as beneficial to take a few tips from an average gal whom we can totally relate to. Here, Aimee Corry talks to Exeter student Otty Macpherson about her fintess goals for the New Year, and how she plans on sticking to them.

What  exactly are your New Years health and fitness goals?

Although I’m trying to lose weight, I’m not fixating on numbers. I just want to feel fit and healthy in myself.

How are you planning on achieving those goals?

I’m trying to eat as healthily as possible and go to the gym around five times a week.

What is your diet at the moment?

I’ve turned vegetarian and given up carbohydrates, sugar and alcohol! That doesn’t sound much fun but I’ve really surprised myself in not wanting to break it. I’ve been eating lots of fish, eggs and beans to get my protein and making sure that I eat little and often to keep my energy up.

Tell us about your “Teatox”…

I tried out BooTea for two weeks. I’ve never done anything like that before and I don’t even like drinking green tea, but it was very drinkable. Not sure if it was this or a combination of changed diet and exercise routine, but I’m feeling good!

What is your exercise regime like at the moment?

I’m trying to go to the gym about five times a week. So a full body workout, an upper body workout, a lower body workout and then two classes such as body combat and body pump. My housemate writes workouts for me to follow which makes everything much easier. It can be difficult to find time to fit in a workout so I try and plan each week when I’m going to workout, so when it comes to it I don’t have any excuses.

How are you feeling as a result so far?

I’m definitely feeling fitter and the Christmas bloat has been banished! It’s not a quick fix but I’m seeing results already, which helps to keep me motivated.

What else keeps you motivated?

This has been something I’ve wanted to implement for a while so I guess I was pretty motivated when I started. My housemate follows the same diet, which makes it a lot easier to resist temptation when the rest of the house are tucking into cake!

What are you finding hard?

It’s difficult to stick to such a strict diet when friends want to go out for supper or drinks etc. However, I’ve found that as long as you do a bit of research before it’s actually easy to go out for a meal and not splurge on calories!

How long are you doing this for?

I’m thinking as this as more of a lifestyle change rather than a diet, so I see it as a long-term plan. Having said that, I want to be super strict for January and then relax a bit.

Give us one piece of advice!

Routine gets boring, so switch it up! Try a new gym class to inspire you, or trying out a healthy recipe. I made courgetti with a Brazil nut and avocado sauce last week. I was initially very suspicious but it turned out to be delicious!

*images@pinterest

Hi everyone! My name is Aimee Corry and I'm currently a second year Drama student at Exeter University.