legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM

Films to Break & Mend Your Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I unashamedly love romantic films – I will watch Lord of the Rings just for the five minutes of romance between Aragorn and Arwen and I can’t get enough of adaptations of Austen (or any period drama; they make up half of this list!).

Below is a collection of (in my opinion) the most heart-wrenchingly romantic films of all time. They are all personal favourites for different reasons: some are funny and some celebrate the everyday sort of love, but they all give you that very particular happy-sadness you get from seeing two people fall in love. 

Jane Eyre (2001)

This is a classic story of grumpy man who’s heart is softened by a gentle girl. A faithful adaptation of Charlotte Bronte’s classic coming-of-age novel, this film traces the growing love between governess Jane (Mia Wasikowska) and master of the house Mr Rochester (Michael Fassbender). I would say this is maybe the most romantic film of all time; the gradually increasing love between the pair is hopeless in places (in keeping with Bronte) and delightful in others.

Far From the Madding Crowd (2015)

Another adaptation of a Victorian novel, this beautiful film follows three stories of different kinds of love: unrequited, passionate, and solid. Carrey Mulligan plays Bathsheba, a female farm owner, who is led by love at various stages in her life. The three love interests in this film will definitely make and break your heart.

Lady Chatterley’s Lover (2022)

This new Netflix original starring Emma Corrin and Jack O’Connell (although I do also love an older BBC version with Richard Madden) is intoxicating! Based, yet again, on D. H. Lawrence’s notoriously banned novel, this film centres a love affair between Lady Chatterley and her gamekeeper Mellors. It celebrates physical and passionate love and the desire to give everything you know up for it. Lady Chatterley’s Lover parallels heartbreaking, unrestrained love with the soft and idyllic English countryside. 

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

I know I just said this about Jane Eyre, but actually maybe this is the most romantic film of all time! Another classic story of a man who’s heart is melted by a headstrong girl. Grumpy Mr Darcy admits his hidden love for Elizabeth – a classic.

Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001)

If you haven’t seen this film I don’t know where you’ve been. This is a Pride and Prejudice adaptation so I am not sure if this should be on the list really. However, I just can’t not melt when Mark Darcy says he likes Bridget just as she is. 

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)

Obviously slightly more on the funny side, this Richard Curtis classic traces the highs of love as well as heartbreak through the shape of the eponymous four weddings and a funeral. The funeral is perhaps (and unsurprisingly) the most heart-aching part but there are moments of unrequited love which will break your heart too. 

About Time (2013)

This is another Richard Curtis film (he is the king of the British rom-com), however rather than grand gestures, this one, according to Richard and his wife, was made with the intent of celebrating a more mundane and lasting sort of love. 

When Harry Met Sally (1989)

I couldn’t make this list without including at least one film with Meg Ryan in. When Harry Met Sally’s friends to lovers storyline is very rewarding and Harry’s final proclamation of love (spoilers!) is one of the most iconic rom-com speeches (“I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts”). On top of this, the film is interspersed with stories from real couples about their true love stories. 

Ellie Lewis

Exeter '23

A final year English student at the University of Exeter with an interest in writing about food, the natural world, sustainable fashion and things other young women can relate to! :)