Famous Figures with Mental Health Illnesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As part of Her Campus Exeter’s Mental & Physical Health Awareness Campaign we will be showing famous figures that have suffered from mental health illnesses.This campaign hopes to raise awareness of mental & physical illnesses within the student population and break the misconception that if you can’t see it then it’s not there.

The Mental Health Foundation estimates that 1 in 4 people in England will experience a mental health problem in any given year, so it should come as no surprise that some of the most famous people in our society struggle with the same things we do. We should often remember that celebrities are people too, they aren’t exempt from illnesses. Just because you can’t see the illness, it doesn’t mean that celebrities don’t struggle with them too. 

For HCX’s Mental and Physical Health Awareness Campaign, we wanted to remind you of just a handful of people who have opened up about their mental illness. By talking about what’s going on in such a public way, they’re helping end the stigma surrounding mental health, and we think that deserves spreading further!

So here are 5 famous figures who have spoken out about their own experiences with mental health:

1) Stephen Fry

Our national treasure Stephen Fry is known for his prominent acting career, tell-all books, audio-book recordings of the Harry Potter book series, and hosting the tv show QI. However, this is not all Stephen Fry has earnt international recognition for. Diagnosed with Bipolar disorder at the age of 37, Fry has spoken out numerous times about mental health. Appointed President of Mind in 2011, he has been a big supporter of mental health charities and has produced numerous documentaries about his own struggles. As part of BBC One’s In The Mind series, Stephen Fry revisited his famous 2006 documentary, “The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive”, with a great 10 year on follow-up detailing his own progression as well as those of the initial documentary. He’s been open about his diagnosis, his suicidal thoughts and attempts, the impact of being diagnosed with a condition and what comfort that has provided him, all in order to encourage others to do the same. Fry has gone a long way to help end the stigma against misunderstood illnesses and hopefully will continue doing so.

2) Kendrick Lamar

One of the most highly-praised rappers of the past few years, Kendrick Lamar has discussed his own struggles with mental health, both in his lyrics and in interviews. Battling with both suicidal thoughts and with depression, Kendrick has created songs which speak honestly about his experiences. His lyrics have been declared so profound that they’re being used in projects like Hip Hop Psych, which uses hip-hop culture to engage with people who may also be struggling with similar things. Kendrick has been just as vulnerable in interviews, sharing the experiences behind his music, actively speaking out about his struggles. You can watch him go more in depth in this interview with MTV

3) Demi Lovato

Demi Lovato revealed a few years ago that she had struggled with depression, self-harm, addiction and eating disorders, along with her diagnosis of Bipolar disorder. Not only is Demi outspoken about her own struggles with mental health, but she’s also strongly passionate about working alongside mental health charities. The list of her philanthropic ventures is long, but most notably, she set up a trust to pay treatment costs for mentally-ill patients, and has become a partner with and advocate for Be Vocal, an organisation encouraging people to speak up about mental health, particularly through social media. She’s leading by example – actively encouraging individuals to speak up for themselves, for their friends and communities, and to use their voice to make a difference. 

4) Zoe Sugg

A famous author, vlogger and YouTuber, Zoe Sugg (also known as Zoella) is a prominent figure within society drawing attention to mental health illnesses as well her passion for beauty and fashion. Hitting 10 million subscribers on Youtube, she’s been using this massive, young fanbase to raise awareness about experiencing severe anxiety and panic attacks. She’s made videos about her own experiences, and regularly talks about the effect it can have on her daily life. Mind made her their first Digital Ambassador in 2014, and together, they’ve been reaching out through social media and the internet to her audience, to encourage others to have the confidence to seek help or speak out. 

5) J.K Rowling

Finally, ex-Exeter student J.K Rowling despite being busy writing the infamous Harry Potter series, she has been very vocal about her experiences with severe depression and suicidal thoughts, believing people shouldn’t have to feel ashamed about similar issues. She wants to fight against misunderstanding and the dismissal of these illnesses, and is doing her part by speaking out about her own struggles. Rowling often provides support online for fans who look to her for advice, encouraging those going through difficult situations to ask for help, not to try and fight alone. 

To learn about other celebrities who are talking about mental health please visit Time To Change.