Facebook or Face-to-Face: Communication in the Technology Era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The old saying goes that men are from Mars and women are from Venus. But how does this translate in the technological age? In a time when relationships are made and broken through technology, it can sometimes seem like we need a new saying when it comes to the difference between guys and girls.

Texting the guy you like can be difficult. The hours spent negotiating a smiley face or whether to add an extra kiss or not, getting the tone right is hard. And it’s all too easy to misunderstand each other via SMS. I once had an entire argument over text, which went round and round in circles until he exclaimed “We’ve already talked about this!” It was only then I even thought to pick up the phone and deal with it; if not face to face, at least voice to voice. There are so many little nuances that you can’t express via text. I sounded annoyed and nagging via the mammoth texting session, whereas within two minutes on the phone- crisis averted.

Don’t get me wrong, texting can be great. There’s nothing more exciting than seeing a text pop up from the person you like and it’s so much easier to be a little more forward and flirty when you can type it. However, I’ve found that most girls tend to read into things a little too much and it’s easy to spend hours scrutinising a text saying “Meet at eight?” when all the poor boy really means, is “Meet at eight?”. If the same arrangement had been made over the phone, or, shock horror, in person, you could hear the tone of voice and see whether they are smiling or not, rather than relying on a grinning icon.

Girls and guys are different and as such tend to connect in a different way- perhaps the new adage for the modern era is women are Blackberries and men are Iphones. Both essentially the same, but diverse enough to make communication a little tricky at times. My advice? Enjoy texting and facebook messaging, but don’t depend on on it. Use your phone to arrange to meet up and enjoy those smileys in person.

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.