Exeter’s Fashion Tribes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Let’s face it: whether it’s true or not, Exeter has a reputation for housing a certain type of people and certain types of style. We know that there have been articles about fashion trends in the past, but whilst before we’ve focused on the men of Exeter and a uni-wide obsession with stash, this time we will be looking at the ladies. This is in no way a definitive list, just a fun look at what seems to be popular on Campus. Most people have their own individual style and tastes, but if you do feel like you belong to a particular ‘fashion tribe’, remember that just because they’re seen as ‘stereotypically Exeter’ doesn’t mean we don’t love wearing them!

The “Rah”

Grab a Barbour jacket, Hunter wellies and a Mulberry handbag, and you’re ready to pull off this trend. What’s interesting about this look is that the jacket and wellies are very common among those who live in the country, but now according to some they have been reclaimed by the “rich kids”of England. Both are undeniably practical for the British weather – who doesn’t love to splash through puddles in a pair of wellies? This is potentially the number one trend in Exeter: we dread to think how much funding we give to these country-wear companies every year! If you want to try it out this look can also be achieved on a budget; try student favourites Primark, New Look and River Island for similar country-style wellies, quilted jackets and faux-leather totes.

The “Gym-addict” (or so it seems)

Buy a pair of gym bottoms, a big statement jumper and trainers, and you could easily masquerade in the Forum as an Exeter student. The number of people you see walking around in this attire every day is insane. Comfortable, practical, and involving minimum effort, gym gear is a favourite among students. Just make sure you’re actually doing some sport though girls… If you’re not going to the gym, despite your best intentions this really shouldn’t be what you put on in the morning.      

The “Hipster”

You all know what we mean by the term ‘Hipster’. It’s an edgy, Urban Outfitters/Thrift shope kind of vibe. Unfortunately it comes with a lot of pretentious connotations, but for want of a better term, this is what we’ll call it. Skinny jeans/ leggings, triangular shaped jewellery, grandfather style jumpers, platform shoes… These are all staples of the trend. It’s comfortable, fun and a bit different, but when the whole campus dresses this way, it’s not as unique as you may hope.

So there you go, the three main fashion stereotypes on Exeter campus. Maybe you fit into none of these moulds or maybe, like most of us, you fit into all of them. Regardless, these are the trends you are most likely to see again and again on campus, but that’s probably because they look so darn good! Whatever your style don’t be afraid to accept, embrace and flaunt it!

Photo Credits:

http://www.mulberrybagsinuk.com/

www.pinterest.com

www.topshop.com