Exeter’s Restaurants and Cafes: A Rough Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I know whilst at University money is tight, and meals usually consist of supermarket value brand ingredients, but everyone can treat themselves to a slap up meal every now and again right? After all our best friend Mr.Overdraft can foot the bill just this once. Exeter is a foodie paradise brimming with culinary delights and options. From your fail safe favourites such as Pizza Express and Ask, both of which I may add have beautiful locations overlooking the cathedral green, to unique family run cafes Exeter caters for all. So whether you’re going out for a meal with friends, planning a date or brainstorming where’s best for your parents to foot the bill be sure to check out HCX rough guide to Exeter’s restaurants and cafes.  

Harry’s Restaurant – Longbrook Street  

Harry’s is infamous amongst Exeter students and a must visit during your university career. The family run restaurant has over 15 years’ experience, and you can certainly tell in the quality of their food. Everyone has a personal favourite Harry’s dish, my housemate adores their pesto pasta, I personally recommend the enchiladas. Whatever your taste Harry’s is sure to cater for it. The rustic décor makes it perfect for a casual lunch date or an informal dinner. The restaurant also caters for large group bookings which are ideal for celebratory meals. Here’s a fun fact for you Harry’s employed Will Young whilst he was a student at Exeter University! Remember to try out the Harrys Heart Attack – if you’re brave enough. 

[pagebreak]

Bills Restaurant – Gandy Street  

Exeter seems to like to name its restaurants after people doesn’t it? Bills is another firm favourite amongst Exeter residents. Situated down cobbled Gandy Street Bill’s is a hidden gem. The décor is a spectacle in itself, a foodie treasure trove filled to the brim with stacks of their produce interspersed with plush sofas and rustic wooden furniture. The food isn’t half bad either, they offer classics such as macaroni and cheese, fish finger sandwiches and chicken pie all with a distinct Bills twist; this is posh pub grub at its best.  

Boston Tea Party – Queens Street  

This place is amazing, whether it’s a healthy snack you want or a full on brunch Boston Tea Party delivers! This lively Café is the ultimate meeting point for a chat with friends. What with its mixture of long benches and comfy armchairs it’s more like piling into someone’s kitchen than a top quality café. The light airy feel of the place, along with its ridiculously high ceilings, also provide a relaxing place to catch up on some reading and even proof read that essay. Boston Tea Party is great due to its ability to meet an eclectic set of needs. For those wanting to work they provide Wifi, whilst their eggs benedict and fresh fruit smoothies are the perfect hangover cures. 

[pagebreak]

Tea On The Green- Cathedral Green  

If you’re ever missing home comforts this is the place to go. Not only does it boast incredible views over the cathedral green where you can enjoy ample amounts of tea and scones ( well when in Devon it would be rude not to) but also the most welcoming atmosphere you’re bound to find in Exeter. The Café itself is like walking into you’re aunts sitting room, with the home cooking to match, the service is some of the friendliest I’ve ever had and can’t help but make you feel at ease.  

El Bocado – South Street   

A firm fave with the HCX culture team, who were lucky enough to review El Bocado, this Spanish restaurant offers an extensive menu of Tapas along with authentic Spanish dishes such as chicken and chorizo stew. Check out what HCX thought of El Bocado here

[pagebreak]

Not paying? Or just fancy somewhere slightly more posh? Try one of these: 

The Conservatory Restaurant – North Street  

One of Exeter’s most well-known restaurants, The Conservatory Restaurant combines a shabby chic décor with fabulous food which uses locally sourced produce wherever possible.  

Michael Caine’s at the Abode – Cathedral Yard  

Located on the beautiful cathedral green Michael Cain’s at the Abode is the ultimate place to dine. Exeter is the top chef’s hometown and was actually the first of the Abode family to be born. If that wasn’t enough the restaurant is housed in the spectacular former Royal Clarence Hotel (which was apparently the first hotel in England).  

The Magdalen Chapter Hotel Restaurant –  Magdalen St 

The Magdalen Chapter Hotel promises a first class experience and it’s restaurant is no different. With its theatre style kitchen and glass  fronted widows, which open out on to a terrace and walled garden, this is a spectacular dining experience from start to finish. Their head chef has also won Devon Life Chef of the year too, so you can be assured that the food is pretty darn good! 

Photo Credits: www.themagdalenchapter.com, www.legacymedia.localworld.co.uk, www.devonrestaurants.com, www.assets3.qypecdn.net

Laura is a third year English Literature student at the University of Exeter. Laura has been a member of Her Campus since 2012, when she decided it was time to actually get involved in something CV worthy. Since joining HCX Laura has been heavily involved with the Culture team writing on everything from film reviews to blogging about what to do on your day off. Having never been involved in journalism before Laura has been pleasantly surprised by how much she has enjoyed her time at HCX. This year Laura is lucky enough to be the editor of Local Culture, and is relishing the excuse to explore Exeter in search of article ideas instead of tackling her extensive reading list. When Laura isn't writing for Her Campus, or staring aimlessly at her laptop in the library hoping a first class essay will miraculously appear, she loves to socialise with friends and explore the area surrounding Exeter (especially if it involves a beach).This summer Laura will be interning at OK! Magazine in their online department, as well as gaining work experience in the press office at Arsenal Football Club. Laura will also be relaxing with friends and family and booking as many holidays as possible. After University Laura wants to pursue a career in public relations in the travel and lifestyle industries. She intends to put off becoming an adult for at least another year by embarking on the classic 'gap year' experience and travelling the world- all in the aid of her future career of course...