Europe’s Secret (and not so Secret) Gems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As exams come to an end and summer holiday planning takes full priority, we thought we would help you along the way with a list of the wonderful (and sometimes lesser known) places to visit on our European doorstep.

Although Europe is an hour’s trip across the channel, it is no less exotic than Asia, China, America, and Australia (to name a few) in the wonders it has to offer the curious traveller. Eastern Europe answers our lust for the dreamy coasts of Thailand with its very own beautiful beaches. Prague, Athens and Rome are enough to quench even the most ardent history fanatic’s thirst for ancient cities.

Just across the border from Hungary, Romania offers a diverse range of attractions – from fifteenth century castles to Austria-like pastures, it is also generally cheaper than the Czech Republic and Hungary (meaning that it is very affordable).

Scandinavia can be rather pricey but its free-for-all camping laws (otherwise known as ‘Wild Camping’) means that you can travel around relatively cheaply. Trondheim in Norway offers beautiful views of the Norwegian Fjords, with official campsites located all around the coast (and unofficial campsites anywhere you choose!)

Venice is like a whole other world. It is the picture of Italian elegance and beauty, and, if you stay in the right hostels, it can be extremely affordable too. The option’s there if you do have a little more cash to splash: you can ride on the gondolas for upwards of around fifty Euros, but I found that walking around the city and its canals was just as rewarding (and I was able to buy several more gelatos than if I’d taken a gondola ride!)

Venice offers a little for everyone: café city chic (with hundreds of delicatessen bakeries), waterfront walks and beautiful ancient churches (Santa Maria Della Salute).

Seville is a gorgeous city nestled in the South West of Spain. It is jam-packed with potential cultural explorations; you can visit Christopher Columbus’ tomb or take a stroll in the mesmerising Maria Luisa Park. 

Looking for a beach holiday? Try Albania. The white sands and clear blue waters could easily be mistaken for the Caribbean, yet Albania is only a short plane journey (or interrail ticket) away and is much cheaper than you’d expect. 

So if you’re looking for places to go this summer, hopefully this will have given you a little inspiration. Europe has so much to offer, let’s make good use of it! Happy travelling

Photo Credits:

Chania Fox