Style > Beauty

Establishing a Skin Care Routine that gives you the Results you want

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s a common occurrence for men and women to establish a skin care routine, only to be disappointed by the results. This is especially gutting when you’ve spent the money on top skin care products from high-end brands, only to be left feeling like it has either done nothing for your skin or actually made it worse. This is particularly likely if you have bought the products yourself without having had advice given during a skin consultation.

So, the question is, why do we go out of our way to establish a skin routine only for it to not be truly effective? More often than not, customers are unaware of what skin type they have and have bought products which don’t work in harmony with their skin or offer it the help it needs.

Let’s have a look at what different skin types there are, with the aim that you yourself can identify what category you fall into, so you can buy the products that are geared around what your skin needs and wants.

1. Normal skin type

If you have this skin type, you’re rather lucky! You will have little or few imperfections. Pores will be barely visible and you will have an even tone (colour). Sensitivity will also not be a problem for your skin. Generally speaking, the skin is not too oily or dry and it appears smooth, clear and healthy. You have a good level of moisture and oil, with good elasticity.

1.  Dry

This is a common skin type. The skin struggles to retain enough moisture, which unfortunately can result in wrinkles and fine lines. You may have a dull and rough complexion and a possibility of red patches. Due to a lack of oil, the skin becomes flaky and fragile as there is no protective barrier and can result in itchy, irritated or inflamed skin.

1. Oily

Common traits with this skin type include enlarged pores and blemishes on the skin, including those feared blackheads or pimples. It doesn’t take much guessing to realise that your skin is producing too much oil, which gives it a greasy and shiny appearance. Skin can also look plump because dead cells do not shed as quickly.

1. Combination

This is where your skin is likely to be normal in some areas or even dry on the cheeks/eyes, yet oily in others such as the T-zone (nose, forehead and chin). This is the skin type that most people tend to have, but also being perhaps the most challenging to deal with; one product will be needed for one area of the face to treat the oily skin and a different product for anywhere else other than the T-zone. You may, therefore, have traits of the other skin types such as shiny skin, blackheads or larger pores.

1. Sensitive

This skin type is the most fragile. Often this type of skin actually does result from the use of particular skin care products that are causing irritation to your skin. You may have redness, itching, burning or dryness. The irritation is likely to be occurring because you have used products with harsh chemicals in them, therefore it is best to opt for a natural skincare routine designed for sensitive skin.

There we have it, only 5 different skin types! Hopefully, you now have a better idea of what skin type you have, so that next time you go shopping for new skin care products or even what to establish a new or reinvented skin care routine, you can choose products that will work in harmony with your skin.

However, the absolute best advice I can give is to have a skin consultation and talk to an expert who will tell you what skin type you have if you’re still unsure; they will advise you specifically on products which will give you the result you want for your skin. Best of all, it now gives you an excuse to enjoy a bit of retail therapy and treat yourself, because you deserve it! Happy shopping girls!