Dyeing My Hair at University: My Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Here at HCX we love a bit of experimentation with style, hair included, and enjoy finding new ways to mix up your look. So, I decided to try going a few shades darker than my natural hair for a much-needed change.                                                                                                                                                                   

Sunday: choosing a colour

Once I’d finally made the decision to dye my hair at uni (it only took me three years to decide), my first job was to choose a type and colour of hair dye. I settled on the colour Honey Chocolate from L’Oréal’s range Casting Crème Gloss. My natural hair is kind of a dark blonde/light brown colour with some red tones, so I went for a colour that would darken my hair but still keep some of the warm tones. I say that like it was an easy choice, in the end my friend just picked up the box and said “I like this one” after about half an hour of my dithering.

Tuesday: the skin allergy test

After seeing numerous pictures of people having severe reactions to hair dye, it definitely seemed a good idea to do the 48-hour skin allergy test. I can imagine a red, puffy face the size of a football is not a particularly flattering look. So, I dabbed a bit of the hair dye behind my ear as instructed and waited for 48 hours.

Thursday: dyeing my hair

Luckily, no reaction occurred, so I was good to go ahead with the hair dyeing. My thought process during the procedure went something like this:

1.     How do I rinse my hair under a shower in a wet room?

2.     I need an old towel. I don’t have any. A tea towel will have to do.

3.     I look like a gnome with my hair in a tea towel.

4.      “Shake vigorously to obtain a completely even mixture.” How will I know if it’s mixed when I can’t see in the bottle?

5.     My arm hurts.

6.     Time to start applying. My hair is so knotty. *Leave the room to get a comb*

7.     I just missed my hair completely and squeezed the dye on the floor. That did not just happen.

8.     Why am I doing this again?

9.     How much dye is in this little bottle? Surely I don’t need this much?

10.  *10 minutes later* Seriously, how is there still dye coming out the bottle.

11.  Right, time to twist my hair up and leave it for 20 minutes. How do I start the timer on my phone with the gloves on? If I take them off they will stain everything.

12.  If the fire alarm goes off now I will look like a complete idiot.

13.  If it does, I’ll shout “Help me, I’m dyeing!” and everyone will laugh. Or not.

14.  This requires a selfie.

15.  Time to rinse. OMG there is hair dye everywhere. On the WHITE walls. What if it never comes off and I get fined £100? Was it worth it?

16.  Wow that is way darker than it looks on the box.                                                            

Overall, despite the stressful experience of dyeing my hair in a bathroom that is not my own, I am really pleased with the result. The colour is darker than intended but as it’s semi-permanent I’m not too fussed. I’m not sure I’ll be doing it again any time soon though

Photo Credits:

Pinterest.com

Fashion and beauty blog: https://beccablueblog.wordpress.com