Crop Top Productions: All My Sons Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

In the first of their shows as a newly started company, Crop Top Productions tackles Arthur Miller’s All My Sons, a tale of an American family affected by the Second World War. Running over three consecutive nights, the M&D rooms’ intimate space hosted a story of social responsibility and hidden conspiracy mixed with an aspiring love-story.

The set-up depicted the Keller family’s garden, a static set used throughout the three acts encompassing all the drama of typical family relationships. Joe Keller (Danny Baker) and Kate Keller (Bethany Watson) represented the parental figure-heads, mediating the rest of their family and friends. In both humourous and emotional scenes, they had the audience enthralled, well-cast and believable as an elderly married couple. In my opinion, the two of them stole the show, acting far beyond their years, consistent in every scene.

Chris Keller (James Alston) and Ann Deever (Kelsey Cooke) played out the romantic relationship of the play, filled with confusion through Ann’s past connection with Chris’ lost brother Larry. A slightly shaky and wooden start from Kelsey but she grew into her role in the second half, her acting improving within the harrowing content as the truth unfolds. James Alston depicted Joe’s oldest son, intent on marrying Ann Deever and being groomed into the family company’s takeover by Joe. Although slightly overacted at times, overall he captured the torment and internal struggle that Chris Keller needed to overcome.

Amidst the gripping drama, the humorous interjections of both Frank Lubey (Mike Davies) and Sue Bayliss (Isabelle Rose Woolley) kept the audience entertained. Mike Davies had brilliant comic timing and Isabelle Rose Woolley was sassy and sarcastic in the playful give-and-take quips between herself and husband Dr. Jim Bayliss (James Bush). The entrance of George Deever (Olly Roy) cast a tense, claustrophobic atmosphere over both the cast and audience. A lovely portrayal of a justice-fighting lawyer with burdening neighbourly ties to the Keller’s, Olly Roy was a refreshing interjection further complicating the storyline.

Not only a good performance from Crop Top Productions, but they were also showing their support with the 100 year celebrations of World War One, by donating the proceeds of their production to Help for Heroes. They charged just £2.50 for tickets or £3 for the inclusion of a Help the Heroes wristband, not just a bargain for a wonderful two-hours of entertainment but also aiding a brilliant charity. Including the profits of a tasty bake-sale, the company’s final tally came to £477.32, a fantastic amount raised for a worthy cause.

The founder of Crop Top Productions, Isabelle Rose Woolley should be very proud of her first production, the cast and company of All My Sons put on a very engaging show, and I think this company is only going to get better with each performance. I cannot wait to see what they come up with next. To keep up with their next production follow the links below:

https://www.facebook.com/croptopproductions?fref=ts

https://twitter.com/croptopprod