This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With SSB, now a distant memory, HCX doesn’t want you to forget the “Safe Sex” ethos of the event so once again we are enlightening you with our contraception of the week. This week, we are looking at a form of contraception that does not involve any hormones, so for all those people whose hormones are already all over the place, the cap would be a great contraception for you!

1. What is the cap?

The contraceptive cap is a little like a female condom. The cap is a circular dome made of latex that is inserted into the vagina before sex.

1. How does the cap work?

The cap works as a blockade, covering the cervix to prevent any sperm entering the womb. Think of the cap as a bouncer outside Arena, preventing any unwanted people from entering!  In order for the cap to be effective, you need to use spermicide with it which will kill sperm. What is great about the cap, is that it reusable so you never have to worry about forgetting if you need to have a new injection, or need to change your IUD. As with condoms, caps come in different sizes and the doctor can inform you what is the best size for you.

1. How effective is the cap?

According to the NHS, if used correctly, “the cap is 92-96% effective.” Whilst this may sound considerably lower than the figure for the other contraceptives we have informed you about, do not worry. Only four out of one hundred people who use the cap have become pregnant as a result and this was generally as a result of them not using it effectively.

1. Benefits of the cap:
  • The cap is reusable so you do not have to worry about forgetting to take a pill, or remember to top up your injection.
  • As it is light and small, it will fit perfectly into your new clutch bag so that you know you always have your contraception available on a night out in case you get lucky!
  • If you are worried that the cap will ruin your sexual experience, do not be: it can be inserted up to 24 hours before a sexual encounter so will not interfere with any spontaneous frolics.
  • The cap does contain any hormones.
  1. Disadvantages of the cap:
  • This form of contraception does not protect you from STIs so remember to use CONDOMS to avoid any unwanted diseases.
  • Some girls have noticed that the cap can be pretty tricky to insert and so prefer to use different forms of contraception.
  • The incorporation of spermicide with this form of contraception can get pretty messy and lets face it as students we are already pretty bad at cleaning up for ourselves!
  1. Where can I get the cap?

If the spermicide has not put you off and you think the cap would be perfect for you, then book an appointment at the student health center with a doctor, who will happily consult with you about your contraceptive choices. After consultation if you still wish to pursue the cap, they will be able to book you an appointment. If you are unable to visit the student health center, speak to your family doctor or pop into the local family planning clinic where they will be able to assist you!                                                              

We hope that this quick guide has come in handy with helping you make the best decision for you when regarding contraception. If you have any more questions, please visit: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Contraception

Photo Credits: catarinalopess.tumblr.com, www.catarinalopess.tumblr.com