christmas music
christmas music
Original photo by Brianne Petrone

Christmas Songs I am Listening to On Repeat This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Christmas is my favourite time of year, and listening to the music is a huge part of the festive season for me. I have three (yes three) Christmas playlists to listen to throughout the month because I can only listen to these songs for a month, so have to have all the vibes planned out! Some of these songs are on all three playlists, but nevertheless these are all songs I will be listening to on repeat this December.

1. Last Christmas, Wham!

A true classic Christmas song. George Michael is one of my all-time favourite musicians so this had to make it onto the list. It’s also just such a good song to sing to in the car, shower, party or just around your room. As we get older, I think it’s fair to say that we all start to relate to the song a bit too, whether it is a friend, or partner that we’ve given our heart to, just to have it thrown away the next day. 

2. Holidays, Meghan Trainor ft. Earth, wind and fire

This is an absolute bop. I can’t stop listening to it and I’d like to apologies to my housemates for that now – I am obsessed! Every time it comes on I just want to sing and dance. This will be on my Christmas Party playlist for all parties this festive season! 

3. Christmas (baby please come home), Michael Buble 

This is my absolute favourite Christmas song. Michael Bublé is the king of Christmas so it would have been wrong to make a list of songs without him. This song just makes me so happy – it’s so energetic and really makes me want to sing. I will be singing this very loudly in the car for the rest of the festive season. I did start playing this one in late November…. 

4. Christmas Tree farm, taylor swift

As someone who was in the top 1% of listeners of Taylor Swift this year (says a lot about my music taste!) this song is a dream. It’s fun, festive and beautiful. There is a Christmas Tree farm in my heart too now thanks to this song. Taylor is a genius at creating songs with the best imagery and every time I hear this song, I picture the exact scene she is singing about… and I want to be there! 

5. Home to you (This Christmas), Sigrid

Sigrid released this song this year, and I love it. It’s so sweet and slow and has a real feeling behind it. She actually originally released this as a non-Christmas song, but because it had such a festive feel, she released this Christmas version too. 

6. When christmas comes around, matt terry

This is a rogue choice in some ways, but I used to be obsessed with Matt Terry when he was on the X Factor, and this was his winning song from 2016. It’s another slow-ish Christmas song, but I love it. He has such an amazing voice and I am obsessed every year. Is also a great song to play in the background when you’re cooking.  

7. LONELIEST time of year, Mabel

Another slower Christmas song and one I feel is so relatable for a lot of people at Christmas. Mabel has the most amazing voice so is another one I like to play in the car and sing to when no one can hear me singing awfully! Also a good one if you’re going through a break-up over Christmas and want to have a good cry. 

8. Driving home for christmas, chris rea

It’s not Christmas until this song comes on. Even if I’ve popped out to the shops for some bread I will be playing this on the way home… because I am driving home for Christmas. Even if it’s on the 7th December! It’s also one of my mum’s favourites, so I grew up with this one on all the time and now I love it too!

9. White Christmas, Michael Buble and Shania Twain

White Christmas is such a classic Christmas song, and I love the Michael Bublé version. I particularly love the bits with Shania in this song – she’s such an icon and makes the harmonies incredible. Those beginning words are iconic: ‘I’m dreaming of a white Christmas.’ I am dreaming of a white Christmas, it would be so magical and cozy. 

10. Santa, Can’t you hear me, kelly Clarkson and Ariana Grande

Two powerful singers and an absolute banger? Yes please! This is on my everything Christmas playlist and my festive gym one. I cannot stop listening to it, and I’m not sorry. It’s so much fun and the upbeat tempo is perfect for this festive tune. I don’t need to say how amazing they both are at singing – it’s a match made in a sugarplum heaven. 

Sophie is in her final year at the University of Exeter. She is the President, Editor in Chief, Social Secretary and Campus Correspondent for the Exeter Chapter of Her Campus (2021 - 2023). Sophie would love to work in the media, specifically marketing, when she graduates because of her love for reading and editing... in fact as you read this she is probably wishing that she was lying by a pool with a good book and an iced coffee!